Have Blitz3d..but want Blitz plus

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Have Blitz3d..but want Blitz plus

luke101(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello, just wanted to know if there is a way i can change my copy of blitz3d to Blitz plus since Blitz plus is much faster for creating 2d games??

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#2]
I don't think there's any kind of "trade in" plan. But you don't want to do it anyway. Blitz3D is plenty fast enough for any 2D you want to do, and B+ is....... unfinished at best.

Russell(Posted 2004) [#3]
If you don't need gui commands, then stick with B3D: It has all the 2D commands of B2D and is just as fast as B2D was.

Actually, there are a few user-created gui libraries for B3D so even if you DO need gui stuff, the possibility is there.

Wow, I just read your tag lne: 90mhz Pentium? Holy Cow! The minimum specs suggested for B3D is 300mhz, I believe...

Russell

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#4]
The minimum specs suggested for B3D is 300mhz, I believe...

Yes, it is, but for 2D games it is probably much lower.

elseano(Posted 2004) [#5]
Depends.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#6]
Blitzplus is much faster for 2D if you are doing any kind of direct manipulation of the pixel buffers. But if you're just blitting static or animated images, then the difference in speed is negligible, I think.

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#7]
Pentium 90.. damn.. you can get faster machines than that for like $5 at a thrift shop!

Tracer

CS_TBL(Posted 2004) [#8]
luke101, exactly what do you have against a new(er) PC ? :)

I can't imagine anything but frustrations when you're planning to use any Blitz on a p90..

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#9]
Having Blitzed (Blitz2D) for a goodly time on a 66Mhz 486, know that changing which version of Blitz you use will not make an appreciable difference to anything. :o)

Doing a chunk of coding now on a 300Mhz Cyrix piece of junk with 64MB of ram and some God-forsaken 2MB vid card or onboard gfx thingy has had acceptable results for relatively simple things (eg my Paratrooper game available from my website). It'll cost a spectacularly small amount to upgrade to something even as poopy as that, so I'd personally recommend saving towards even that meagre goal, rather than changes Blitzes.

Mr Brine(Posted 2004) [#10]
Get it sold on ebay, then purchase b+ with the money you made from selling b3d.

Mr Brine

luke101(Posted 2004) [#11]
I see you guys are talking about my computer huh...well here is the story

My main PC is a AMD 2000+ 512mb PC2700 RAM, GeForce 2 64mb video. The pentium 90 is my test PC Dell computer. Damn good computer. Had it since '96 when this thing cost 1300 dollars. When I make games I test the frame rate on my slow computer and try my hardest to make the game playable on this machine. I only average 8 to 12 FPS but sometimes I can get around it. Of course 3d is out of the question so I stick to 2d games..

luke101(Posted 2004) [#12]
So yall dont think I can get a copy of Blitz plus?

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#13]
You can always buy a copy.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#14]
I don't think you'll see much difference in speed... And blitz+ has too many bugs an limitations. If you want a better language with more support and better featureset, go with some of the competition. When Mark gets around to fixing and adding features it should have, I'll change my opinion on B+.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#15]
I think the only thing B+ really offers is the upgraded 2D stuff. The 2D stuff is pretty solid now, the fact it can run on -any- version of Windows and the fact it supports OpenGL/software render is worth it imo. However, you obviously don't want to spend the extra money on a copy of B+ or you wouldn't've asked if Blitz Research will trade you... Now that you've gone and bought B3D first, I'd just stay put.

Zauron(Posted 2004) [#16]
How do you specify a BlitzPlus app to use Open GL or software rendering? I can't find that option anywhere in the documentation...

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#17]
First, get the latest update. Second, use the CountGFXDrivers/GfxDriverName commands to ascertain which render modes are available to you and finally use SetGfxDriver to set the mode of your (or your users') choice.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2004) [#18]
As a total newbie, I went and bought Blitz Plus yesterday, thinking I would also buy Blitz3d later. The reason being that the stuff I wanna do initally is only 2d.

I didn't realise Blitz 3d would have been fine for all my 2d needs as well. I feel I should have just gone for Blitz 3d now.

Ho-hum, not to worry.

At least the software is quite cheap (relatively speaking).

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#19]
Yes. Plus Blitz+ is better aimed towards 2D than Blitz3D is. Few extra features, a bit of a speed boost under particular circumstances, OpenGL/software rendering support and it runs on any version of Windows (Blitz3D requires DX7+)... So, write a game or two, make enough money off of those to purchase B3D and you're set =]