TCP problem

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/TCP problem

moravcik(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've been messing around with some network stuff in the Blitz Plus demo, and came across this problem with the opentcpstream() command. If i'm trying to connect to machine x at IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, and there is no response from the machine, Blitz trys to connect repeatedly. It usually gets to about the third attempt before completely freezing the program, and i have to shut it down through task manager.

Is there any way i can stop this happening? I was under the impression that if no connection could be made, the command returns a 0 value. My program is just sticking on that command until the program crashes.

While we're here. Anyone know where i can get the last Blitz 2D update. I formatted my hard drive, last week, and now I can't get the damn thing to work again, since IE6 is installed (hence the messing around with the B+ demo).

TIA.

rdodson41(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, you have to make sure there is a server on that computer. The OpenTCPStream() command cannot remote connect to a computer, it needs a server created with CreateTCPServer(). Also make sure that the port isnt confilicting with another program. Anything above 10000 seems to work. And if you have a firewall, make sure the port is open.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#3]
No matter what it shouldn't end up in an endless loop, but it will try for several seconds before returning 0. You are shure that you havn't coded it to retry? Can't you get the B2D update from Account/product updates?