BlitzGL??

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/BlitzGL??

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#1]
Any official or unofficial word on the status of BlitzGL? The beta version I have is awesome and I love it, but it seems production on this has been dead for many, many months. Could the author or the publishers please shed some light on this great BlitzPlus add on?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#2]
PhobosGL is a 3D engine in a DLL that uses a command set pretty much like Blitz3D's. A public version will be out soon.

To give you an idea of how complete it is, I am using it for that program I posted a screenshot of. The prog is written in BlitzPlus using PhobosGL, and is NOT Blitz3D.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#3]
I will definitely be looking forward to it, thank you for the info :c) Any idea on price?

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#4]
I like PhobosGL. The version you released earlier doesn't allow to load models though ( I don't want to program a b3d loader). Will this next version support model loading? If yes, then awesome

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#5]
No, but you could use one of the LoadB3D() functions in the code archives. Most of the mesh creation commands are the same.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
Check out my BlitzGL, (No relation to Drago's),

has cameras, hardware multi-texturing, hardware lights, support for various blending modes(More than blitz, including dot3), ultra fast static(Compiled) meshes,
mesh creation/deformation, custom texture format and
a custom 3d file format, including built in functions to convert any loaded blitz3D mesh to it's own format, including texture conversation.

And the cheery on the cake, you can use fxSkins, which are high level access to vertex/pixel shaders on a per entity basis, using nvidia's cg.

Check general decussion forums.

That old(8 months now) version is free, the commercial version won't be, but it won't cost more than a decent game.

Works in blitz+ and 3d.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#7]
Check out my BlitzGL
Hard to do without a Link?

I like PhobosGL.
Wiebo's opinion carries a lot of weight with me, I am looking forward to Phobos.

@Wiebo there are also a couple of MD2/MD3 loaders floating around that work quite well.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#8]
Price? Terms of use?

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#9]
Miami Brice: I want to load b3d though, as I use Light Wave and the B3D converter... I will see what the b3d loading in the code archives does for me. If I can get that to work I can use my own GUIde for the GUI design, as I am planning a rather feature rich world editor.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#10]
I have not thought about price or terms of use, because this is primarily for my own work. I haven't really thought about making it a commercial 3D engine, and am not sure if it would be worth it or not. I mean, selling it to the Blitz community would be a niche within a niche.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hehe, make it free then, I am just looking forward to getting my hands n Phobos. It was a shame BlitzGL seems to have died, I was really counting on it for a project :c(

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#12]
I agree that selling it to the Blitz crowd won't move a lot of copies. It does rule for 3d application development though. I played a bit with Phobos and have added support for it to GUIde, I can now add working 3d viewports to my GUIs in no-time.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#13]
Well, if its a .dll you could sell it to anybody capable of calling one couldn't you? I'd be interested anyway...

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#14]
Has BlitzGL died? I thought Drago said that he was still working on it fairly recently. I could be wrong though.

Drago(Posted 2004) [#15]
Ok, BlitzGL isn't dead, there just has been other things going on in my life so my development time has gone down abit.

But it has got something major added to it lately, which also added a few nasty bugs... blame Microsoft they wrote what I added... *if that isn't a simple hint to what it is I don't know what is ;)*

Skitchy, yup that is the case, I have been playing around a bit with that front aswell.

anyway, if you have any questions send me an email just put blitzGL in the topic so it is easier to notice in all the spam the email in my profile seems to get.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#16]
Hey, good to hear that Drago.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#17]
Awesome news Drago, thanks for updating us.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#18]
Here's my problem:

1. The market for PhobosGL.dll would probably be mostly Blitz3D programmers who need to write a 3D application.

2. I would probably sell less than ten copies, right off the bat.

3. Selling the DLL would give the user the entire core of Cartography Shop. I would effectively be giving away all the hard work that it takes to write a good editor, for an amount of money next to nothing. I don't really want to go sell my engine to someone for $100 who is going to use it to make a competing editor, using all my routines.

So you can see, it doesn't look like this is something I want to allow anyone to use right now, unless I think up a better licensing plan. I have one guy I am letting use it for an application, and he and I are splitting sales 50/50.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#19]
So you can see, it doesn't look like this is something I want to allow anyone to use right now
Then you should not mention it and bring it up ;c)

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#20]
Well, I have just been thinking about it, and wasn't sure what I would do. Sorry.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#21]
no problemo, imo. AND i still have your Phobos3D beta version. Is it OK for me to use it?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#22]
Not for anything commercial.

If anyone is interested in it still, email me. I am working out a couple of agreements with two developers right now. I think it makes more sense to approach this on a case-by-case basis. I don't think too many people will be using this for games, and I don't exactly want to fund my competitors.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#23]
If anyone is interested in it still, email me.
I couldn't find an addy.

I would be interested based on the features it provides and price. I would be using it for a free rpg game. Feel free to email me: bricemanuel at verizon.net

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#24]
RPG game, Brice? Cool. Any details?

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#25]
No details, since its not being written in Blitz, it would be improper to post info here.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#26]
very improper, yes =]

Drago(Posted 2004) [#27]
Brice: did you get my email?
and can you give a hint to the language you are using?

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#28]
Brice: did you get my email?
Yeppers, just replied to it.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#29]

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#30]
I don't think I am violating anything by saying Drago's MD2 & MD3 routines work perfectly (tried them in BlitzGL.)

Drago(Posted 2004) [#31]
hmm, that is a hard to answer question.
Afaik GMax can only be used in software if someone has paid a liscence fee to discreet, which in the case of md3 ID software would of. But that liscence would only cover the use in Quake 3.

I also know that the md3 format has what program exported it in the file.
So one exported from 3dsmax says 3dsmax, while GMax ones say Gmax.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#32]
Afaik GMax can only be used in software if someone has paid a liscence fee to discree
To expand on this. There are some nice freebie and shareware modeling programs that handle MD3.