How does windows do it?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/How does windows do it?

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#1]
Looking at my manually shadowed mouse-cursor in blitz, I saw how it moved in chunks in an unprofessional manner. Then I look again at the windows mouse cursor that has no problem keeping up, despite being no more simlpe than my cursor. Is it possible to use the GPU without having to switch to full 3D-mode (with such aspects like 0,0 is at the middle of the screen)?

Kevin_(Posted 2004) [#2]
Are you for real?

I saw how it moved in chunks in an unprofessional manner

You mean it doesn't move smoothly?

Is it possible to use the GPU without having to switch to full 3D-mode

This is the BlitzPlus thread not Blitz3D.

If ever there was a 'worst constructed question' in a forum, this is it.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#3]
I think he's saying his framerate is crappy and he wants to draw a mouse with a shadow in 2D mode and have it go fast.

The best way to do that depends on your application. You might try a dirty-rectangle scheme. Grab what is behind the mouse, draw the mouse, then next frame, put the block back where you took it from, and go back to step 1.

This assumes nothing changes between the time you grab what is behind the mouse and when you put it back in that spot. If you do this the very last thing each frame, and the very first thing the next, then you should be okay.

I'm assuming of course that right now to redraw the screen you are redrawing everything. If it's possible for you to not do that, then you should avoid it.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hrm, yes, one of the things windows does is that it doesn't redraw everything all the time. But this leads to some things not redrawn when they should have been...

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
If an application has stalled, in a not responding state and it's contents eventually go white... sometimes the mouse cursor will leave elements of itself in that window. So if it's good enough for Windows, it's good enough for you =]

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#6]
Things can get a little annoying -- just noted how moving a Form in VB graphically erased part of the text in a code window ('til I started poking around in it).

>> if it's good enough for Windows, it's good enough for you >>

Well, I guess so, rumor has it the thing is commercially vialble ;)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#7]
I wouldn't trust those rumours too much =]