WindowsXP Look and Feel

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/WindowsXP Look and Feel

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just save the following in your blitzplus/bin folder as ide.exe.manifest to give your BlitzPlus a bit of XP look and feel (WindowsXP users only).

All BlitzPlus apps can hopefully benefit also.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
    version="1.0.0.0"
    processorArchitecture="X86"
    name="MyCompany.MyLabel.MyAppName"
    type="win32"
/>
<description>MultiMedia BoardCast/Scheduler.</description>
<dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity
            type="win32"
            name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
            version="6.0.0.0"
            processorArchitecture="X86"
            publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
            language="*"
        />
    </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you want to experiement with alpha in icons, the following info may be of use:

Icon Format
To author 32-bit icons correctly, do the following:

Author multiple images for each icon. The following graphic shows this.

Multiple Images of the Same Icon
In the previous graphic the first three images are in 16-color mode for use in safe mode.
The next three icons are used in Windows XP 256-color mode.
The last three icons have the alpha channel and can be used only in Windows XP or future operating systems running 24-bit color or higher.
The order of images in the icon format does matter. If the order is wrong, older versions of Windows function poorly when extracting the icons. Extracting the icons incorrectly can cause memory corruption and improper rendering.
Previous versions of Windows had a 10-icon resource limit, but Windows XP supports thousands of icon resources.
Note You can use third-party tools to generate icon files and bitmaps that contain an alpha channel.

pretty pics at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/xptheming.asp

Snarty(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice find skids.

I compiled a version of the PP2D demo with a manifest to the blitzcc, not sure if it works since I only have WinME. I guess if this method does not work adding the resource to blitzcc should do the job.

I would be greatful if anyone could test it on XP with/without styles.

PP2D XP Test

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#4]
I don't see what it does. CShop doesn't look any different.

Snarty(Posted 2004) [#5]
It will replace the standard 3D look grey (etc) buttons with Windows theme style buttons, sliders etc. Had one test report back and it works a treat so far.

Yan(Posted 2004) [#6]
It didn't work here Snarty. I had to manually add a manifest :o/

YAN

Snarty(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hmm, yeah. Oh dear. Well, when I get home I will try adding it as a resource to the blitzcc exe. Failing that, it will mean a manual attachment.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#8]
Just wanted to say, that to me, it seems that the xp-look is facinating in the begining(just 'cause its new) but then you get sick of it, esp. the 'default blue'. Does anyone know, though, of a *gold* version of the 'silver gray'? That might actually look quite cool!

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#9]
Can anyone post a screen so I can see exactly what you are talking about?

Thanks.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#10]
here you go:

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks. Does it change the menus?

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#12]
yup

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#13]
So they look like, say, the DB IDE menus?

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#14]
I don't know, I never used the DB IDE... I would say thay look like XP style menus :)