Text editor

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Text editor

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#1]
I noticed Halo placing a editor on the frontpage. Unfortunately the problem he ran into was the lack of control over text. So today I started working on a native blitz text editor.

I have got a good deal in already but need to do a bit more before its usable. The editor is completely coded in Blitz+ without using dll's.

Below is a preview : (just a basic edit screen and a background picture)
http://www.cromdesign.nl/tools/edit.zip

I still need to link the selection text across multiple lines. Add scrollbars for extended line size. Add tabbing and various shotcut bits. Add text coloring, dynamic font adjustement, optimizing, intergrate parsing ect.ect

I would have released the code but its a mess and not modularized like I want. Give me a day or two to finish it. The code when released will only be usable for freeware or open source development.

So for people who want to make this. tell me what you think and want from the editor.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#2]
just wrap scintilla and getit over with

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#3]
Wrapping a unknown piece of code takes longer then making a new one from the ground up seeing what I know of wrapping c++ or delphi.

I think having a text editor and its code open might be usefull for blitz.

Man, I'm lazy, 3 hours of doing nothing :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'm pretty sure you will come unstuck without any userlib references.

soja(Posted 2004) [#5]
For myself, I'm only really interested in an editor if it has folding. Pretty much, this means possibly Visual Blitz, Protean, MS Dev Studio, Vim, or Scite. I don't think I know of any others.

Otherwise, the original IDE is small and quick.

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#6]
Folding is very easy to do. Each line is stored seperatly and can be read or not read(folded). I will add this as a standard feature in the editor. Not only with Functions but for regular text and types.

I like Visual Blitz myself. But I am using the last free version and its a little buggy.

I do need a couple of userlib calls for being able to put and read text from the copybuffer. Its handled internally atm. A ontop call is also required. Tooltips and popup menu's I can do with regular blitz windows.

Btw here's the source.
http://www.cromdesign.nl/tools/edit_src.zip