Statusbar

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Statusbar

xlsior(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've been playing around with the GUI commands a bit, but am seeing some odd behaviour:

When I use the 'SetStatusText' command to put a string in the statusbar at the bottom of the window, it appears to be limited to just the first 128 characters passed.

The window I created is 640x480, and the string that get passed contains many spaces -- those 128 characters take up about 2/3 of the status bar, then they get cut off leaving the rest of the statusbar empty.

What I'm trying to accomplish is put some text in the far right hand side of the statusbar (preferably while having some text in the left hand side as well). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

I tried substituting some of the spaces for CHR$(8) (TAB), but that appears to have no effect: they take up just about the same amount of space as a regular space does when passed there.

Related to the above: Is it possible to get a box on the status bar itself using Blitz? Kind of what the Blitz IDE uses how the blitz IDE has the box where it shows you the to display the row and column count in the lower right corner at all times?

xlsior(Posted 2004) [#2]
...Nevermind, looks like I just found the answer to my questions here:

http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=706

Advanced Statusbar, using the API to add multiple fields to the status bar. Thanks, Ed From Mars!

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#3]
You can use Chr$(9) you know. Not Chr$(8).

Chr$(9) + "Some text" will put it in the middle.
Chr$(9) + Chr$(9) + "Some text" will put it at the right hand side.

xlsior(Posted 2004) [#4]
...No, I did not know that.

And that actually fixes some other issue, as far as an easy way to handle window resizes. Thank you very much!

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#5]
I found it by accident, it should probably be in the docs.