Tileslide Game

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Tileslide Game

pantsonhead.com(Posted 2004) [#1]

This is the first "game" I've written in BlitzPlus.
I'm mostly happy with it but it needs a little refining yet.

Please download and post your comments
http://www.pantsonhead.com/blitz/TileSlide_beta.zip

soja(Posted 2004) [#2]
Pretty cool!

I have some suggestions:

1) Use bitmap fonts for displaying the Best Scores list -- I have my system set to use small fonts, and they're unreadable with all those colors. It's also not centered...

2) Allow the user to click the mouse instead of pressing any key to leave the Best Scores list

3) Allow the user to "import" their own pictures, such that the game remembers them (location, name, etc) and it lists them out (instead of the user having to navigate directory structures every time).

4) Track high scores not only by level, but by picture too, since some are inherently more difficult than others.

5) Allow the user to enter his name for High Scores.

6) BUG: When a game is in progress, the timer continues to tick if the user leaves the Window focus or opens up the menu/best scores/ etc. Catch the Begin and End Modal events, for instance, and stop the timer between them.

7) There are no accelerator keys for the menu options (besides &File)

8) BUG: Mouse clicking doesn't work right (wrong coordinates) if the window is resized (manually or automatically) -- that is, if there's any black around the edges of the picture (canvas, I assume)

9) BUG: The window won't resize correctly for smaller pictures

I thought it was pretty cool though. This would be great on a pocket PC or some such.

pantsonhead.com(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks for the input soja

I'm fixing the bugs now and will look into some of the other suggestions.

I don't understand about the small fonts. Does that mean that even if I load Impact at 24pt you see something different? Is it because you do not have Impact installed and you see a default font? Please confirm how I "set to use small fonts" so I can do some testing. Thanks.

soja(Posted 2004) [#4]
I have my system font size ("icon") set to 7 points. I thought that might have had something to do with it, but I changed it around and apparently not. This is what I see, I'm not sure why:

pantsonhead.com(Posted 2004) [#5]
OK, I managed to update the following over the weekend:

2) Mouse-click allows user to leave Best Scores list.
6) SEMI-FIXED BUG: Timer pauses if app lost focus but not for Best Scores screen yet.
7) Added menu accelerator keys
8) FIXED BUG: mouse-clicks broken when image doesn't fill window.
9) FIXED BUG: Reduced the minimum window size and implemented auto-zoom for smaller images.

I fixed a few other bits and pieces too, but there's still more to do yet.

New version is on the same link as before:
http://www.pantsonhead.com/blitz/TileSlide_beta.zip

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#6]

6) SEMI-FIXED BUG: Timer pauses if app lost focus but not for Best Scores screen yet.

use Autosuspend 1 to pause the entire program automatically.

pantsonhead.com(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks Eikon, but that's just gonna suspend the program - It doesn't suspend time itself ;)

Since I store the StartTime millisecs in a variable and calculate the difference I have already written something to deal with gameplay pauses.

soja(Posted 2004) [#8]
Instead of figuring time yourself with some millisecs delta calculation, you could use the built-in Timer event.