What's the way to go?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/What's the way to go?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am about to develop a card type of game where I want it to be able to do these kinds of things:
-drag and drop cards
-ability to group cards together and drag together
-pop up windows containing images/information
-display an onscreen grid with icons/animations on the grid
-area of the screen that will display messages and allow you to click on buttons

I own BlitzPlus and Blitz3D. I am very familiar with creating 'traditional' style games using DrawImage and page flipping.

What I would like an answer to is what is your opinion of the best way to create this game. Should I try doing it the 'traditional' way or can I use BlitzPluses GUI elements to do what I need to do (thereby saving me from possibly re-inventing the wheel (like implementing drag and drop))?

What is your opinion on this and is there possibly a tutorial somewhere that would give me a better understanding of how to do this? When I speak of a tutorial, I am not referring to something that shows me how to create a GUI (like something used in a level editor) but something that is more directed towards writing a type of GAME that uses 'windows'.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#2]
I would use BlitzPlus. I think you should use a canvas and do your cards stuff the "traditional" way (for a game, I think it's best to do your own individual GUI), but it will make it a lot easier to do pop up windows, and that area to display messages and have buttons to click.