Choppy Animation

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Choppy Animation

luke101(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello I have decreased the FPS down to 20. But when I did that it may the animation choppy. Is there anyway to smooth out the animation with only 20fps. I appreciate any help

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#2]
Not really... the human eye detects change at around 72 times a second, so any less than that is bound to create this choppy effect. Unless you have some sort of blur technique, like that of a television.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#3]
If you were to have additional frames of animation it would be smoother, but would obviously take longer to get to the end of the animation cycle.

IE if you have a walk animation that takes 8 frames then it would take about 0.4 seconds to animate at 20fps and probably look quite choppy. If you had a walk animation of 20 frames then it would take 1second to animate and look a lot smoother. Although the extra amount of memory needed for those extra frames is probably undesirable.

luke101(Posted 2004) [#4]
ok...i see

Russell(Posted 2004) [#5]
The closer your animation gets to 0 frames per second, the "choppier" your animation will seem regardless of blur techniques, etc.

25-30 fps is the 'standard' norm for smooth animation, with frame rates higher than 50 or 60 being a waste of resources, really (99% of the population will not notice the difference between, say, 60 and 90 fps, but the latter will require 50% more memory than the former!

The best way is to experiment yourself with different framerates to see what impact those changes have and then compromise. Maybe decrease the resolution or the size of the sprite and then keep the fps at around 25-30, for example. Remember that not everyone has a 256MB graphics card...

Russell