Fast forward and rewind

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Fast forward and rewind

WoeIsMe(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does anyone know of a way to fast forward and rewind a sound track/channel in Blitz Basic? I'm planning on having a go at writing an audio-player, and I need to be able to do this to get going on it.

If it's not possible in Blitz Basic, are there improved sound commands in BlitzPlus that may make this possible? If so, what are these?

Thanks loads in advance

Mr Brine(Posted 2004) [#2]
if you load an mp3 as a sound sample as apposed to the playmusic command you could use the channel pitch command to fast forward through the track. I was thinking of doing a blitz-DJ util using this method to sync the tunes together!

I aint sure about rewind though

Mr Brine

WoeIsMe(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks for that wave of inspiration! I've got a great method up my sleeve now - let the audio-player commence! :D

BTW, does anyone know if playing high frequency sounds can be damaging for speakers. I can avoid this problem if they are, but just in case I need to be cautious I reckoned it would be best to find out.

xlsior(Posted 2004) [#4]
rewind: You could go back to the -beginning- of the song, and do a *very* fast forward until you get to the point you want to get to...

However, I haven't actually tried this myself, but I can see one problem with forwarding/rewinding using the pitch: your computer -still- needs to decrypt and process the entire file which can be very processor intensive, and depending on how much you need to fast-forward, too slow on old computers.

WoeIsMe(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hehehe, I'm way ahead of you, xlsior! Well, apart from the processor stuff...

MSW(Posted 2004) [#6]

BTW, does anyone know if playing high frequency sounds can be damaging for speakers. I can avoid this problem if they are, but just in case I need to be cautious I reckoned it would be best to find out.

depends on a huge number of factors...the average human can hear sound in the frequence range of 20 - 20,000khz...so most soundcards are developed with that in mind...also a lot of amplifiers (either built into the soundcard or outboard in the speakers) often clip frequencies above and below that range...not to mention that most common cheaper amps and speaker systems can't even reproduce the full 20 - 20,000khz frequency response range...hard to say really, except that well built tweeters are some tough little SOBs...but not everyone has them :P

WoeIsMe(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh well, that's not a problem. My fast-forwarding and rewinding turns the volume down to 0 when it zooms.