Will there ever be a LoadMusic command?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Will there ever be a LoadMusic command?

Russell(Posted 2003) [#1]
Long complained about, since the first versions of Blitz 2d, but still no change.

Anyone know why this command does not exist? Its' absence after all these updates is a little bit of a head scratcher. Seems like something that Mark could add in a weekend (or a day!)

Oh well, I'm sure he's busy with BlitzMax ;) which will, of course, incorporate this command as well as AppIcon()...

Russell

Réno(Posted 2003) [#2]
I would prefer a patern jumper when loading a module songs.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
You have the playmusic command. But this will load and play music from the harddisc. You really have no control over it. Why don't you use LoadSound? Same thing really except you choose whn you wanna play it.

Hansie(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeah, agree with Ross C. I use LoadSound() without problems. kind'a make's a possible loadmusic() command obsolete ...

Eikon(Posted 2003) [#5]
Im pretty sure hes after a format LoadSound() doesnt support, like mod or midi for example.

kRUZe(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'd have to agree with Eikon there, a work-a-round alternative would be to use the Bass.DLL and utilise it's music features instead.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#7]
Zero, get your butt onto ICQ .. :)

Tracer

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#8]
Just use PauseSound or PauseChannel or whateverthehellit'scalled:

something=LoadMusic("something.mod")
PauseChannel something

That works, doesn't it? Or is my brain broken?

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#9]
Whats wrong with the PlayMusic(Modname$) command?

Russell(Posted 2004) [#10]
Eikon is correct. I'm after the ability of playing mods.

Using Pausechannel is a viable workaround, but I'm trying to avoid workarounds.

I even thought of creating a ramdisk: and loading the mod into it so that when it streams from 'disk' it will start playing immediately (from ram) rather than hiccuping from hard disk EVERY time I want to play a mod.

I know FMOD has this ability, and B+ uses FMOD AFAIK, so what gives? It still makes no sense to me that this command is not there.

And with fmod included, why would I want to use Bassmod, which is only free for non-commercial use?

Anyway, it's not a huge big deal, just one one of those things that seems like it should work one way but instead works another - kinda like Windows ;)

Russell