What kind of error is this?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/What kind of error is this?

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#1]
Unrecognized DirectDraw pixel format: bpp=8 rmask=0 gmask=0 bmask=0 amask=0

Running on Windows 2000 server, english edition, directX 7.0

:(

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#2]
Might need to see some more code that demonstrates the problem -- looks like you might possibly be trying to force an 8-bit mode...?

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hi James,

I do not set a graphics mode, I only set windows:

Global window = CreateWindow("Dukatiers server 0.1",0,200,600,520,0,1+8+32) 
Global textbox = CreateTextArea(5,0,590,200,window,1)
Global playerlist = CreateListBox( 5,220,590,250,window)
Global label = CreateLabel("NextDoor Technology",5,500,150,20,window)
AutoSuspend False

Russell(Posted 2003) [#4]
Looks like you've got your region isolator cross-phased with the data port controller.

Actually, I have no idea :)

Russell

CGV(Posted 2003) [#5]
I got that exact same error when I tried to run a blitz game while my video card was set to 8 bit mode (256 colors).

DrMartin(Posted 2003) [#6]
Yes, this happens when you run a Blitz program on a computer that runs 8-bit color in Windows. Blitz can't handle 8-bit color.

--
Martin Gunnarsson

Hansie(Posted 2003) [#7]
BlitzSupport : please confirm!

If Windows is set to say 1024x768 and 256 colors, no blitz programs can execute??????

In my opinion this is an important issue since a LOT of PC's still run 256 colors, apart from the latest 2-3 generations ;-)

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#8]
In my opinion this is an important issue since a LOT of PC's still run 256 colors, apart from the latest 2-3 generations ;-)
Please tell me you're joking? My S3 based *AMiGA* could do 16-bit... For christs sake...

DrMartin(Posted 2003) [#9]
8-bit works differently from the higher color modes. In 8-bit color you have a palette with 256 colors. This means you can't plot any color, just the ones you have in your palette. If you change a color in the palette, all the pixels using that color changes. The 8 bits just tell the computer which color in the palette to use.
In 16-, 24- and 32-bit color you can specify a color for each pixel, there is no palette. The 16, 24 or 32 bits tell the computer how much red, green and blue the computer should use for each pixel.
Since 8-bit color is so different, it would take a whole new set of functions to handle that mode. It would be like writing the whole graphics system of Blitz again.
And come on, I don't even remember when I last saw a PC running 8-bit color.

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#10]
Thank you. That must be the problem I guess (I can't verify it yet, cause someone else is running my program on their machine). Nevertheless, I think it is not neccessary to give this kind of error, when I only use the Win32 API stuff (I do not use any graphics mode that actually needs 16 bit color or better to run).

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#11]
Please tell me you're joking? My S3 based *AMiGA* could do 16-bit... For christs sake...

Yeah, it's not so much capability as whether it is set to 16 bit or more. Windows XP sets 16 or 32 bit at a decent res when you first start up - but Windows 98 doesn't, AFAIK.

"NextDoor Technology",

What's that? "We outsource all our work to the guy next door"? :)

Hansie(Posted 2003) [#12]
I run a small company that fixes PC's for casual consumers, and without sounding crazy, about 30% of the PC we need to fix run either Windows 95 or 98 with 256 colors ...

a bit scary actually

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#13]
What's that? "We outsource all our work to the guy next door"? :)

Hehe, no, actual it is our teamname (We're making a multiplayer game as school assignment)

3Ddoofus(Posted 2004) [#14]
I don't know where you guys find this info out but I'm glad you do. You've saved me a whole heap of trouble with an application I did for my company which had travelled to Poland and then failed to work.
Thanks to All

Cold Harbour(Posted 2004) [#15]
B+ doesn't work in Poland? I think that should be added to the buglist.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#16]
Uh, just to add one more thing to the stirring pot, Server editions of Windows generally have all gfx acceleration disabled. Boot up dxdiag and switch it back on =]