Windows XP Tablet Edition?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Windows XP Tablet Edition?

Kcarlino(Posted 2003) [#1]
Has anyone run BlitzPlus applications on Windows XP Tablet Edition? Sorry about the generalness of the question, but I have had a couple of reports from user of my software Pixarra Sketchbook, indicating that the program won't run, they were both using Windows XP Tablet Edition. I had done some troubleshooting with one of these people but it was inconclusive as to where to problem was but it appeared to be crashing during the creation of the menus. Of course I don't actually have a Table PC to test with.

Thanks

Ken Carlino
www.pixarra.com

RiK(Posted 2003) [#2]
I've tried some of my BlitzPlus stuff on a friends tablet PC and it didnt work. Sorry but I cant remember the specifics of the error at the moment, I'll check again next time I'm there..

Floyd(Posted 2003) [#3]
There's another report about Tablet PC and Blitz here.

Kcarlino(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks! I found the thread in the Blitz3D problem reports forum covering what sounds like the same problem.

Ken

Rob(Posted 2003) [#5]
Sounds like Blitz isn't compatible. I wonder why though?

WillKoh(Posted 2003) [#6]
Excuse me if I jump a little off the original purpose of the topic, but I am thinking of getting a TabletPC and i wonder some stuff. First, does anyone know if the screen of the "TC1000 C5800" (transmeta cpu/hp-compaq brand) is good? I've had trouble with bad screens both crt and and tft, (convergense errors or geometry). Second - this problem reported here - was it when creating menus trough windows or is there some general graphics drawing problem with blitz?

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hiya. BlitzPlus (and BlitzBasic/Blitz2D) works perfectly on my TabletPC actually (I've tried all the demoes, and all my own code), only Blitz3D applications fail, and only if not run from the IDE with debugger enabled. It's mind-numbingly odd.

If you need people with TabletPC's to test your application, just send an e-mail in my general direction.
First, does anyone know if the screen of the "TC1000 C5800" (transmeta cpu/hp-compaq brand) is good?
What a coincidence, that's the exact model I have! I think the screen is very good, but some people have complained about the glass sheet that protects the screen having a rough surface, which gives a slight prismatic distortion effect on the screen, that can be very visible up close on very bright images. The pen also has a few short commings, for on, it's not pressure sensitive, and it also requires a battery (that'll last you about a year or so if you use it regularly 4 hours a day). Also the speed is somewhat less than you'd be accustomed to, and the GeForce2Go tends to get rather hot (although not uncomfortably so). It'll run Quake3Arena, and the built-in WiFi card is damned handy if you happen to be near an access point. It doesn't have a CD drive or disk drive, so you'll need a 'compact flash' or USB flashdrive to exchange files with non-networked computers. Ofcourse having two USB ports, you can always just buy an external CD drive. I have an Iomega Predator, which is pretty good, except it's not (particularilly) bootable. Also Compaq/HP in their infinite wisdom decided that the system restore installation comes on CD. Pretty useless for a computer that doesn't have a CD drive. What where they thinking?!?

Having said all that, I have no regrets about buying mine. It's a great little handy thing to have along and the unit itself wieghs in at about 1300 grams, and is roughly the same size as an A4 document binder. It's quiet and holds power for a long time. It'll definately change the way you work. You might want to try out the newer TC1100, which unfortunately comes with a Centrino processor, but has a battery-less, pressure sensitive Wacom pen.

Anyway if you find a good shop, I'm sure you can get someone to demo both models to you so you can make up your own mind. I recomend it, but if you do decide to get the TC1000, you might want to wait a bit, as once HP start really pushing the TC1100, the TC1000 is gonna be much cheaper, I'd wager. :o>

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#8]
Actually, we've been VERY happy with the 'lower class' centrino laptops.. i've seen 1ghz lower chips perform better than the 3ghz chip in mine!

Tracer

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#9]
Well Centrino processors are fine, that's not really the point. I was thinking there was a specific reason he'd chosen a Transmeta Tablet PC.

The thing I don't get tho' is that 'Tablet PC Edition' is just Windows XP Professional with more support programs (like text and speech recognition).

WillKoh2(Posted 2004) [#10]
Are centrino 1gz better than transmeta 1gz?

BTW, laptops unlike pda:s, have fans, is this the case with the tc1000 (or other tablets)? Is it quiet, then?

assari(Posted 2004) [#11]
For more info on tablet PCs, go here
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/default.asp

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#12]
Intel = better than transmeta. But it's nice to know there's some competition for the big guns out there. Especially a company that was just a start-up a few years ago.

And in my benchmarks on my Inspiron 8600 lappy, my 1.7 pent-m (part of the centrino package) wastes my 2.53 P4 in my desktop machine. It benches closer to a 3 ghz P4.

And for the record... You can go here for the definition of Centrino.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci887152,00.html

Someone... Can't remember who... in a previous thread was telling me that the Centrino is the CPU name and Pentium-M was the "package" with the intel wi-fi and such. It's just the opposite. Intel kinda screwed up with the whole Pentium-M cpu moniker as it really doesn't share the P4 core nearly enough for it to be so closely associated with the P4. They should probably call it a pentium 5 or even have associated the Centrino name with the chip as everyone else is doing anyway. :)

Kanati

WillKoh2(Posted 2004) [#13]
Tanks, to you others, but i hope to hear from FlameDuck who's got the kind i'm thinking of buying about the fan ... Pentium 5... that would mean they're hitting an absolute low in naming: Think about it: pentium means the fifth, so pentium 5 is the fifth number five! There seems to be a great difference between transmeta and centrino?

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#14]
pentium 5 is the fifth number five

Pentium^5 :cD

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#15]
Pentium M's perform better at equiv clock speeds of p4's and use only 1/8th the power... It has been a long wait for another chip from Intel that is head and shoulders above the competition

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#16]
Are centrino 1gz better than transmeta 1gz?
Depends on what you mean by better. It's definately faster.
BTW, laptops unlike pda:s, have fans, is this the case with the tc1000 (or other tablets)? Is it quiet, then?
The TC 1000 has a fan, although it's not particularilly noisy. Unless you're working somewhere very quiet and really pushing the TC 1000 (more specificly the GeForce2Go), you'll probably never notice it. I definately have the quietest PC in school, and the detachable keyboard is a life saver for when you need to program. :o>

WillKoh2(Posted 2004) [#17]
Someone says a 1ghz centrino or was it pentium-m (or are they the same?) performs like a 3ghz p4... Could that really be true, why suddenly so much efficiency rather than mhz-brute force from intel? Also, flame duck said "You might want to try out the newer TC1100, which unfortunately comes with a Centrino processor". Any bad aspects of the centrino?

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#18]
Someone says a 1ghz centrino or was it pentium-m (or are they the same?) performs like a 3ghz p4...
It would have to be the Centrino, the Pentium Mobile is a POS. Although 3Ghz sounds a little too much like marketing, not engineering speaking. The real reason for the dramatic increase in performance is probably because XP Tablet PC Edition comes with a lot of stuff switched off by default. If the opposite where true, I think you'd be seeing a lot more Centrino desktops, don't you?
Any bad aspects of the centrino?
It's not a Transmeta. :o> It uses more power, gets hotter, and 'speed-step' is a joke. On you. Otherwise it's perfectly good.