Demo for Cache Map / Edge Update Scroller

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Demo for Cache Map / Edge Update Scroller

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#1]
Has anyone made a demo using the Cache Map / Edge Update Scroller in the code archives? I would be curious to see how it works. (I am at work now so I can't code anything).

If not, I may test it later tonight.

Thanks

cb

Paradox7(Posted 2003) [#2]
hmmm.. I didn't make a demo per say, but I was part way though a game using cache map/ edge update scroller. Was great. Worked fine. Some little stuff it does, didn't like, but easliy fixed, like it would continue to scroll to the right, so just added some code to make it not loop the tile. Then I wanted multiple Tile scroll areas, which i was able to do, but couldn't resize them realtime while they ran. (Well I could but it was a little to slow for me.) ect ect, then was going to write a map editor to use with it, and then thinking about controlling tile animations on it, was going to write that... then how about some Multiple Layers. But then I Realized that Mappy is far greater. It does all that already! Plus I can have multiple scroll areas on screen, of Any Size, and can resize Instantously. Animated Tiles, nice, move the tile area around the screen, simple. Great Tile Editor, woohoo. Handles Multiple Layers.. What else do you want. So I gave up on that cm/eu scroller ;P

Maybe i'm not far enough into using Mappy that i don't know its limitations, but what i could see, it works great, and its easy to use. Atleast I found it easy to understand, and use. Some others don't seem to like it. dunno why. I think they just don't understand mappy, like its to complex.. of which its not.

http://www.tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php

Blitz PlayBack Library
http://www.tilemap.co.uk/zipfiles/mapbbr6.zip

oh and the playback library has Examples of what it can do in the zip ;)

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#3]
oh yeah...I have used Mappy for ages.

I was just wondering if anyone had a "before and after" using the cache scrolling versus normal scrolling (using drawblock)

I was curious as to how much faster (if any) it was.

cb

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
Code archives has it I think. Dr T and Shag both have made cache map routines.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#5]
Why is a cache map scroller considerably faster? What overhead are you saving?

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#6]
0DFEx: If you have a screen that is 640x480 pixels and you have 32x32 pixel tiles, then you are drawing 300 tiles per screen. Each tile takes a little overhead. Cache drawing (at least in theory) takes those 300 tiles and combines them at loadtime into bigger tiles...like maybe 160x32 pixel tiles. That would mean you have 60 tiles to draw per screen. 5 times less overhead. It's a great idea...just haven't seen a demo showing before and after.

cb

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#7]
Ahh, thanks cbmeeks. I see you're well into your tilemap routines and have looked at several alternatives. What do you reckon's the favourite for speed? I haven't tried cache map or a 3D based tile engine yet.

I made a little game with a full screen of 32*32 tiles. Runs fine in 1024 by 768 on my P3 1GHz, but is unplayable at 1600 by 1200. My brother just got a top end P4 with the latest GForce card (I have GForce2), and I was really disappointed to see that it didn't really run any better. I know 2D is not being developed much on new cards, but I would expect it to be getting faster just for the fact the newer cards run at higher clock rates.

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#8]
Well, I am old-school. I prefer 640x480 with 32x32 pixel tiles. Even though a lot of people say I should be either using 800x600 or 16x16 pixel tiles. Neh. Not now. :-)

640x480 with 32x32 is plenty fast and smooth even on lower machines.

cb

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#9]
I'm old school, too, but I came from the Amiga and I've got an aversion to oblong pixels.

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#10]
hehehe...I come from the Texas Instruments TI 99 4/a, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari and Apple!!

cb

Hansie(Posted 2003) [#11]
I must be oldschool also - aged 33 and started on a VIC-20

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#12]
Yup. Those were the days.

Me, aged 30 and started on a TI 99 4/a.
cb

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#13]
Just turned 28 and started on a CPC464. Me old man used to have a ZX81......... remember the day he bought a RAM upgrade so we could play space invaders!