b+ needs a cold kickstart function

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/b+ needs a cold kickstart function

CS_TBL(Posted 2003) [#1]
Now and then when I make bugs (read: when I'm coding), it happens that B+ crashes. Usually when things with diskstreams go wrong, or perhaps when doing gfx instructions when no canvas is made active.

B+ crashes then, and all B+ applications do so too. Even a simple 'notify; command crashes then, even compiled b+ exe-files crash.

The only way to get rid of this is rebooting. It would be nice if there was some way to do a cold kickstart again w/o rebooting the PC.

(currently using 98se)

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#2]
Does it even crash when you use debug mode?

CS_TBL(Posted 2003) [#3]
Didn't check yet... I'll try now.. anyway.. even when you try to compile nothing (an empty source) it crashes..

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#4]
First of all, Windows 98SE is your number one problem. It has no real "crash protection". Granted, XP is not crash proof but it is a million times more stable. Do yourself a favor, get XP. BUT, only if you have the machine to run it because just like all M$ products, XP is major "bloat-ware"

cb

WolRon(Posted 2003) [#5]
I don't know if 98 is your problem but I do have to agree that it is (like cbmeeks stated) not crash proof. I went from a typical one crash per day with 98 to not even one yet with XP which I've now had for about 5 months.

CS_TBL(Posted 2003) [#6]
There's one single DOS app (Impulse Tracker 2) that can't run under XP.. at the moment IT3 is done, I'll be the first one to install XP .. until that moment it'll be 98 that I run..

The machine is not the issue here .. athlon 2ghz/256mb/geforce4mx is fair enough for me now..

Anyway, 98 or not, it shouldn't crash like it does now imo..

dan_upright(Posted 2003) [#7]
you're right that once you've crashed b+ this way you have to reboot, but if you switch from directdraw to opengl or native, it should stop the crashes from requiring a reboot

i've had this problem myself and not just with b+, various games 2d/3d can have this happen and it's always an error in ddhelp.exe or something like that - i couldn't say if it'll go away just by upgrading to xp, since it's directx that's crashing and not windows, but i wouldn't recommend "upgrading" at all, let alone over something this simple

Floyd(Posted 2003) [#8]
I've never seen this problem after installing XP.

The difference is that a misbehaving program will only corrupt its own memory space.

Usually the problem is writing to memory you don't own.
For example, this could be an out of bounds array index or drawing outside the limits of a locked buffer.

The only advice I can offer is to find the source of the crash and fix it.

CS_TBL(Posted 2003) [#9]
Probably it's some sortof memleak yes.. however, it's kinda irritating to have to reboot again and again to fix it. A cold kickstart of B+ would be better imho..