DVD PLAYBACK

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/DVD PLAYBACK

maverick(Posted 2003) [#1]
Now here`s one for ya
Does anyone know of a way to playback DVD movies in Blitz

I want to make a simple DVD player application but can`t think of a way to playback DVD`s ,, i have searched for a DLL but to no avail. I must admit it suprises me that this feature isn`t part of the movie commands as DVD playback is supported as part of the directshowSDK and therefore directX.
It seems to me were missing a lot of these functions in blitz ,, like the sound commands which lets face it are ARSE without using the BASS libraries ,, plus there is no native support for ports (LPT RS232 ect) again without a library like WSC ,, seems to me these functions should really be added ,,, it`s sad when purebasic users get more toys than us

skn3(Posted 2003) [#2]
I think you went a bit off topic.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
Find a reliable media player codec for DVD VOB files and your wish will be granted.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#4]
skn3[ac] dvd playback is a 2d opperation is it not ???

I have a mediaplayer codec for VOB files and my wish hasn`t been granted i`m affraid :-(

skn3(Posted 2003) [#5]
I meant, that you started off with a DVD playback request, then had a moan about the sound libraries, and port support to hat.

I tried some things regarding dvd playback (in the time from my last post and this post), and none worked.

I came to the conclusion that to have support for dvd playback in blitz3d would be impossible in its current state (short of somone writting their own decoder)

In blitz plus maybe...?

I came to this conclusion as I have another piece of software that grants development access to directshow, but that requires you open a "dvd window", i.e. you cant just 'paste' down your dvd image onto a blitz buffer.

This is due entirely to "dvd protection", otherwise it would be all too easy to write a ripper in this manner.

This may all be wrong, but I highly doubt it, so I hope it helps.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#6]
yeah that sounds about right ,, as far as i can tell it`s quite a complicated directshow filter to access dvd.

As for the software you have ,, would it be possible to open a DVD windown over the blitz window using cutom regions to remove thr window borders making it appear to be in the blits window do you think ??

And can you controll said software from blitz ??
It wouldn`t be the ideal solution but sure would get me unstuck..

As for the rant about limitation , that was just me goin on one while i was typing ; lol

but it`s true that blitz is somewhat lacking in the features department ,, BASS seems to me to be far more advanced than the current system , and port acces is one of my pet anoyances ,, took me ages to figure out a good way to do it

skn3(Posted 2003) [#7]
Not sure about that (border thing). I be somone on these forums has the ability to write a wrapper of some sorts that could render the dvd output to a b+ gadget, using direct show (externally from blitz).. but to me that sounds like more than just a small bit of work..

maverick(Posted 2003) [#8]
For me writing a DLL to render DVD is over my head ,, just looking at the filters in the directX SDK gave me a migrane.

But getting rid of a windows borders is relativley easy all that is required for that is a HWND handle and a couple of calls to the win API ,, so i think it`s probably possible to run a comertial dvd software with it`s window borders removed ,, but how could it be controlled from within blitz

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
OT sorry, but I think the reason BASS is more advanced than in blitz, is extra money needs to be paided in order to bring it up to the current level.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#10]
You cannnot even access the data on the DVD from a Blitz program. You need something to get around the CSS (Content Scramble System). I could tell you how, but then I'd be in violation of the DMCA, and risk being arrested if I ever travelled to the USA. Instead, search google for "DeCSS". The original implementation is in C, you might be able to convert it. Alternatively, you can obtain a license from the DVDCCA (DVD Copy Control Association). You would ofcourse need to do that anyhow, or your player would be illegal and you would be facing up to a 500.000 USD fine, and a 5 year prison sentence.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#11]
THAT sucks ,, I think all lawyers should be put to death , and all the greedy fat cats in the recording industries shoul have their nads removes with blunt scissors .................. THEN be put to death

skn3(Posted 2003) [#12]
Agree

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#13]
Lol. Agree.