Is there way to put images in a TextAreaBox()

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Is there way to put images in a TextAreaBox()

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#1]
Other languages can do it, so hopefully it's not as stupid a question as it initially sounds. Is there any way to get images into a TextAreaBox() ?

If not, I will have to remove the TextAreaBox and replace it with a Canvas and draw everything manually, but without the automatic scrollbars and everything, that will get pretty complicated, and more importantly, it could get slow.

So I'm hoping there's a workaround/cheat.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#2]
nope. Not in a textarea. You could use a htmlview though. As long as you aren't updating things really quickly that will be plenty good enough.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
The only commands I can find that relate to an HTMLView are HTMLViewGo, HTMLViewForward and HTMLViewBack. So I assume you mean writing html to a local file and displaying that?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#4]
yup

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
You, Sir, are a genius. That means I don't have to worry about not being able to format the text in a textbox, because that's possible in an HTML page too.

Thanks a lot.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#6]
You, Sir, are a genius

<blush>

That means I don't have to worry about not being able to format the text in a textbox, because that's possible in an HTML page too.

You know you can do simple formating with text areas right? There are commands for colouring text as well as changing the style (bold/ italic) which means you can do simple text hi-lighting like in the blitz editor. Of course it's no where near as good as the control you get with html.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#7]
So what's this for then?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
You know you can do simple formating with text areas right?

I didn't actually. I've been reading through this forum to see what tricks and tips I can pick up and I came across an old thread which mentioned that you couldn't change the colour of text.

Good to know. Thanks.

So what's this for then?

It's basically a learning exercise. I've never done any GUI programming before, nor any network programming. So I'm trying to learn them both at the same time by writing a little client/server chat program.

The images, mixed with formatted text, that I need would be emoticons.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#9]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/bpdocs/command.php?name=FormatTextAreaText&ref=gui_cat

Ta Daaa