Battlefield 1942 joystick

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Battlefield 1942 joystick

julianbury(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi Guys (^_^)

Do any of you play Battlefield 1942?

I love the game and want to use my joystick when flying in it.

I don't know how to make the game aware of my stick and as I read gamer's user groups, it is obvious that others have the same difficulty.

I have located the file wherein the necessary information must be written:-

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Default\Controls\Air.con

This Air.con file holds the defaults for the flight controls. It's contents are all in plain text.

The BF1942 in-game Options are very unhelpful and the word 'Joystick' is entirely absent.

Other people, however, are using their sticks to great effect. Just using keyboard and mouse, I stand no chance against them.

The point of all this is that, having located the file, it would be nice to write a little application to change it.

Users would input information about their joysticks and the application would adjust the Air.con file accordingly.

Does this strike any of you as a good idea?

I just need to understand the file contents to see where to change it. It looks like it should be meaningfull to someone but it isn't to me.

Can anyone help?

If you wish, I can post the file here ...

Julian

Kanati(Posted 2003) [#2]
I would check the battlefield forums (many different ones). I'm certain the format is there somewhere.

dynaman(Posted 2003) [#3]
It should be easy. Go to the controls menu, click on what you want to control with the joystick, then waggle the stick, or press the button.

If that does not work then the game is not recognizing your joystick, which you can go to the battlefield tech support to get help with. (after putting up with the childish name calling that will go along with any request on those boards)

julianbury(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hi dynaman,

Are you writing from experience with Battlefield 1942 or in a more general way?

Mine is a USB-connected Saitek Cyborg Rumble Force 3D joystick and has no effect at all.

The Battlefield control options don't seem to respond to it either.

If you have any idea what I should be doing, could you please make it clear to me?

Thank you for your thoughts :-)

dynaman(Posted 2003) [#5]
> Are you writing from experience with Battlefield 1942 or in a more general way?

I use my thrustmaster when playing 1942. It does not have force feedback though.

If you are having trouble with the joystick in 1942 then you will need to go to www.battlefield1942.com and from there you can check into their technical and general forums. Sounds like your joystick is not being recognized by the game and I don't know how to fix that (plus this is probably not a good topic for the blitzplus forum)

julianbury(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hi dynaman,

My joystick is working fine. The problem is that getting the thing to work is non-intuitive and it seemed like a good idea to write a little proggy to help gamers to get going. The file that is to be adjusted by the proggy (Air.con) is also non-intuitive and I was hoping some bright guy could clarify it for me.

That's all (^_^)