B+ require DX?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/B+ require DX?

Gillissie(Posted 2003) [#1]
I know that the graphical functions require DX 7, but does a Blitz+ program that only uses standard Windows gadgets require DX?

I need to know if I can use Blitz+ to write an "AutoPlay" program that offers the option to install DX.

If not, I'll just write another one in C++. (I already wrote one in C++ for my first game, Space HoRSE)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#2]
Blitz+ doesn't require DirectX 7 for any aspect. It only requires DirectX v1, which should be available on all target machines...

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yeah. You don't need DirectX7 for anything. Not GUI elements, not graphics. All you need is a version of DirectX. Any version will do.

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#4]
Here's a question though... does B+ still need DX if you're using software or OpenGL render modes?

One would assume not.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2003) [#5]
does it really matter? It runs on DX1, which is present in each and every windows incarnation from win95 and up by default.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#6]
Here's a question though... does B+ still need DX if you're using software or OpenGL render modes?
I assume it uses DirectInput for the joystick commands?

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#7]
And DirectPlay for the network commands etc... good point.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#8]
I think it only uses DirectPlay for the DirectPlay commands. You could probably use the TCP / UDP streams to do network stuff 'the hard way' without needing DirectPlay...

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#9]
And DirectPlay for the network commands etc... good point.

And starting up. DirectX is initialised at the start of BlitzPlus apps right away, I believe - swapping to OpenGL right away isn't enough.