Child Windows

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Child Windows

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
halo (Posted 12 minutes ago) Edit

I want to set up some child windows in a main window, but there are several problems. First, the main window doesn't clip the children. Second, movement or sizing of the main window has no effect on the children, even when the child windows have a GadgetLayout of 1,1,1,1. In fact, the only way you can tell the child windows are at all related to the parent is because if the parent is minimized, the children disappear. Other than that, there appears to be no relation.

I want the child windows to move and resize with the parent, so that sizable display windows can be created.

Interestingly, SetWindowLong doesn't seem to change the window at all.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#2]
It sounds like you need an MDI window, where the children are opened within the parent window.

Unfortunately, BlitzPlus doesn't support that yet, and although I'm not certain, I don't *think* you can fudge it by making API calls after creating your window(s).

In my opinion, this is one thing that BlitzPlus really does need in order to make good apps. However, the problem (I suspect), is that I don't *think* (again, I don't claim to *know*) that Mac or Linux have quite the same concept of MDI windows - which is likely to discourage Mark from adding support to BlitzPlus for something specific to Windows.

Which all boils down to - You'll have to roll your own I'm afraid.