Whats Faster??

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Whats Faster??

SSS(Posted 2003) [#1]
hi all, i was wondering what would be faster, drawing 10 small 32x32 images or dynamicaly scaling one image via the ScaleImage Command and then drawing just that one image... tnx

MadMax(Posted 2003) [#2]
Well, I remember that in slower systems, it was usualy better to split and image into smaller images. With Blitz and modern PC's I'm not sure, seems to me that they are so fast, that it's difficult to percieve any difference. Would be a matter of carrying out some tests.

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#3]
The ScaleImage command is not intended for realtime scaling, so I recommend you use 10 small 32x32 images.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#4]
yeah, 10 32x32 images is very fast. i've got 315 24x24 images onscreen and it runs like lightning.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#5]
cool thanks alot !!! ;)

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#6]
Scaling is slow.
Well, I remember that in slower systems, it was usualy better to split and image into smaller images.
I think drawing a lot of small images is slower than drawing one big image, because of the extra work that has to be done for each individual image (as the total amount of pixels is the same). When I tried my tile engine with smaller tiles it got slower, if I remember correctly. But maybe it also depends on what kind of video system you use, how much memory it has, etc.