Does anybody have (or know of) an obfuscator for BlitzPlus?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Does anybody have (or know of) an obfuscator for BlitzPlus?

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#1]
I am about to release two games that I wrote using B+.
(Actualy, I wrote them with B3D, but have recompiled with B3D).

My problem is: There are lots of strings in the source-code.
And I donīt want to keep them encrypted in the source-code.
I want to always be able to read them while editting the program.

But, before compilling the games, I want to generate an obfuscated version of the source-code, so at least all strings will be unreadable.

Code obfuscation would also be very nice.

Does anyone have one such tool?
Or know of any - even commercial ones will be just fine.

Thanks for your time,

Rui Barbosa Jr.

Barnabius(Posted 2003) [#2]
I think I've already posted it somewhere but it does not hurt to repeat it...

http://www.molebox.com

Barney
www.CroTrainz.com

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
What's the big deal with the strings being readable?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#4]
I know of one...his name is Rob.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hey, Molebox is very cool.
Thanks, Barney...
/R

Darkuni(Posted 2003) [#6]
I caution the use of Molebox. I have a friend that writes games with Blitz professionally and he had be 'beta' of his new game and it was done with Molebox. The title worked fine for him - but would FAIL to run on my WinXP box.

He immediately stopped using it. This was just a couple weeks ago. I wish I could offer MORE information about the issue, but I couldn't NOT respond based on my experiences.

Barnabius(Posted 2003) [#7]
Darkuni, could you elaborate on this. I've tested Molebox on 7 different computers (all with XP) without any problems and almost decided I'll purchase Molebox. Did your friend use demo version or full version? Did you try his game on your compuer without Molebox? I'd like to know the answers in order to finally decide on the purchase.

Barney
www.CroTrainz.com

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#8]
Me too. I like MoleBox, but if it's going to mess things up I wont bother...

It hasn't given me any problems I couldn't fix so far. :)

My one tip when using MoleBox - Any file that's going to be written to / altered by the .exe has to be left OUTSIDE the 'box' ie. don't pack it - leave it off the list when you encrypt the files. Obviusly files of this nature wont be 'protected', but they're generally going to be mundane stuff like save-game info anyway.
:)

Darkuni(Posted 2003) [#9]
I honestly don't know if he used the demo or retail of Molebox. His game worked FINE without Molebox - so he was very paranoid about using it.

Basically, here is what happened. I'd install the game, then run it. The pointer would go busy for a few seconds, then nothing. No tasks, no processes. Just died.

After he removed the Molebox, it ran as expected.

I will talk to him next time he's online and see if I can get MORE details and/or followup on his experiences.