Getting started

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Getting started

Warren(Posted 2003) [#1]
Where would someone look for an introduction to BlitzPlus? The documentation included with it focuses entirely on Blitz2D and ignores the UI components, which is disappointing. The samples are great I guess, but I'd rather follow a step by step tutorial if at all possible so I understand everything.

Anyone know of any good sources of info?

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#2]
Chapter 2 of the User Guide was an attempt at an introduction to gui programming in BlitzPlus.

If you read the brief text and test each of the listings as you work through the chapter you will hopefully get a good idea how events and gadgets work that make up the BlitzPlus system.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
Gah! Totally missed that. Apologies ...

3Ddoofus(Posted 2003) [#4]
Just to wake this thread up again.
I just bought BlitzPlus and have to say that the User Guide is extremely weak. There are no real tutes for the GUI which you would think was essential considering what an important part of the Program it is.For someone who is new to programming there is very little help in the docs.
I would also have thought that some decent tutes would have appeared by now as it's not exactly a new product.Blitz seems to be slipping these days :(

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
I disagree. I bought BlitzPlus two days ago, and I'm having tons of fun playing with it and learning it. I'm finding myself asking basic questions ( look around the forum for examples ) but people around here are very helpful, so that's not proving a problem.

I think the documentation is pretty good. PureBasic is the most obvious product that BlitzPlus compares to, and I own that too, so I am perfectly positioned to say that the BlitzPlus documentation is far, far superior to the PureBasic docs.

The sample programs are very useful, and helped me pick up a couple of things I'd have missed otherwise. But the Chapter 2 that SkidRacer referred to was very helpful in introducing the basic concepts. From there, it's just a case of experimentation.

Barnabius(Posted 2003) [#6]
Yes, Blitz+ docs could've been much better but it is an easy language to understand quickly, especially if one already has some programming experience. After I purchased Blitz+, it took me only 3 days to produce a nice little car memory game which uses GUI and runs as a window.

All one really needs is to check the docs carefully and then look through the examples. Also, don't be afraid to experiment. One nice thing about learning how to program is that nothing will get broken. At least in this language, that is... ;-)

Barney

3Ddoofus(Posted 2003) [#7]
I know what you guys are saying but the thing that stands out to me is that you both have previous programming experience. For someone who is new to all this, BlitzPlus doesn't make itself very friendly by having inferior documentation.
It may frustrate people and force them to choose a different product.
I really like Blitz but feel it isn't making the best of itself!

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
No programming language is going to teach you the basics of programming. If you buy Visual C++ it doesn't come with a introduction to programming concepts.

That's not to say that learning to program is easy, but you're looking in the wrong place IMO. If you wander over to BlitzCoder.com you'll find lots of tutorials which introduce Blitz programming in general. There is also a migration tutorial to help introduce the differences between Blitz2d and BlitzPlus ( but they're really not very different. )

Krylar's book is also available over there, and serves as a great introduction to Blitz programming.

BTW: Considering your feelings on documentation, promise me you won't ever buy PureBasic? :)

3Ddoofus(Posted 2003) [#9]
I accept that guide will not teach me to program,It would have to be one helluva guide to do that! I just feel that there should be examples of the various commands for the GUI instead of just a brief description of the command.

I may just buy PureBasic to find out how bad it's docs are ]8D

MadMax(Posted 2003) [#10]
It's not fashionable anymore to make good manuals. Having said this, Blitz' aren't the worst around.I found Mak's samples very useful. Mark also posted a very useful basic skeleton for B+.

I'll post it again as I have no idea where the original post is.

window=CreateWindow( "Window",0,0,640,480,window,15)

canvas=CreateCanvas( 0,0,ClientWidth(window),ClientHeight(window),window )

SetBuffer CanvasBuffer(canvas)

timer=CreateTimer(60) ;for 60 FPS

While WaitEvent()

Select EventID()

Case $803

End

Case $4001

;main()

End Select

Wend

rdodson41(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think the B+ docs are great. Before i bought it, I had done absolutely no programming. With these docs and the online forums etc, I learned a lot. I think that the docs + the samples and games are a great tutorial.

-Rich05