Windows within a window?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Windows within a window?

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#1]
B+ Newbie question:

Is it possible to keep a window inside a specified area?
As usual, an image is better than a thousand words:

CS_TBL(Posted 2003) [#2]
iirc this was requested before.. and iirc there was no way to do this. Maybe in Blitzmax...?

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#3]
If so, it is a fairly serious limitation.

The best way would probably be to have them clipped into a panel.

Tazzy(Posted 2003) [#4]
This is called a MDI (Multiple Document Interface) form, and AFAIK BlitzPlus doesn't support that yet and probably won't support that for a long while. The reason is that the current code only supports one window receiving messages. For this to work correctly you need multiple windows all capable of receiving and handling messages. Without code objects (classes) this would be really difficult to handle.
For this kind of windows you should use the GUI programming languages like VB, C++, .Net, Delphi? etc. Blitz is still geared towards the game programmer even though we have some gadgets now. I believe it's intended use was window games.

That my $0.02 anyway.

Robert(Posted 2003) [#5]
Its perfectly possible to implement using a procedural programming system like Blitz. I have GUI plugin for DB which supports windows within windows.

You subclass all windows when you create them (as B+ currently does), and then they can all happily receive and process messages.

How hard this would be for Mark to implement depends on how he has structured everything internally. It should be possible without alteration to the current commandset.

When each subclassed window receives a message, it pushes it onto a stack presumably, along with parameters and the source of the call. Therefore it doesn't matter which window receives the message.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Panels don't clip windows, in case anyone is wondering.

AtomicX, I'd like to discuss your method. Please email me at josh@....

Thanks.