b++ performance and compatibility questions...

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/b++ performance and compatibility questions...

Grisu(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi!

I only have two general questions about b+.
Perhaps some of you can help me with them.

Is B+ 1.35 fully compatible with the old B2D?
I tested the demo and my program ran not as it should.
The "waittimer" command was not recognised too?

Is the 2D command performance of b+ really faster compared to B2D or B3D? I'm especially interested in Write and Readpixel stuff.

Thanks in advance.

soja(Posted 2003) [#2]
1) 99% of the Blitz2D functionality is within BlitzPlus. Some commands were left out of the original release. You should get the update (1.35). It has waittimer and (I believe) the other few commands that weren't in the original release. In general, you don't have to do much tweaking at all.

2) I'll defer to someone else. I know it's more verstile -- you don't need DirectX7, and you can choose whether to use system RAM or Video RAM for your images... but I haven't really bothered to get into it deeply yet. Other people have.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#3]
If you take something that was originally written in Blitz2d, and recompile it in BlitzPlus, it probably won't be any faster. But it will be more compatible with more target systems due to not needing DirectX 7. However, you will be able to achieve considerable speed-ups on certain operations by playing with the new memory flags (to specify what memory images are loaded / manipulated in), and by treating image buffers as banks and using peek / poke byte instead of read / writepixelfast.

I have a neat plasma style effect, which when re-written using banks and peek / poke is about five times faster than the original in Blitz2D using writepixelfast.