Phobos 3D Engine for BlitzPlus

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Phobos 3D Engine for BlitzPlus

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
I took about 30 minutes to play with an idea I have been kicking around. Take a look at this code:

[removed]

This is BlitzPlus code.

Taking what I learned about OpenGL during the development of CShop3, I'd like to write an open-source 3D engine for BlitzPlus. It would allow us to add our own features, rather than waiting for some DirectX upgrade. It would allow far more access to data that Blitz3D conceals, like getting the texture name of a material or deleting a single triangle from a surface. The storage of entities in banks means that an entity, or an entire scene can be saved to a file or loaded with perfect accuracy. This also means that the entities could be passed to a dll, if you wanted to write part of your game in another language, and have an editable portion without releasing the whole code.

I think the meshes will be much more vertex-driven than Blitz3D's mesh/surface system. Vertices will exist simply for geometry. When you add a triangle, you may specify UV coords, material, and normals, so a cube with unique UV coords for each face would not need 24 vertices, just 8. Each mesh can have a line list, for drawing 3D lines between the vertices. The possibilities are endless.

Keep an eye open and in about three months there should be something ready to use.

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#2]
Arghh, you stolen the name of my previous OpenGL engine!!!
Good luck with this one. If you want something consistent, you'd better plan to the maximum from the very beginning rather than just adding features from time to time.
I'll keep on eye on this, I'm pretty curious to see what can come from this.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#3]
I'd REALLY like to see this happen. It might finally force me to learn C++/OpenGL :)

Low level access to the entire engine...WOOHOO.

You really are doing some great work here Halo. How long before CShop3?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#4]
2 weeks?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#5]
You can download a test here:
http://www.leadwerks.com/storage/phobos.zip

Included are:
-Initialize OpenGL on any gadget just by using the CreateCamera(gadget) command.
-Create meshes with commands similar to Blitz3D, plus more like AddLine().
-Cel-shading
-Position, move, rotate entities (working 3D matrices)

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hey Halo, some of us are waiting for Cartography shop 3!!! Get done with that before you work on some other project! :)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yeah yeah, I'll have you know I just sent out a pretty good beta. I should get some Blitz beta testers.

Dude, you know how much easier CS would have been if I had the engine first? Of course, without CS I wouldn't have learned all this.

This is kind of a trip, because it's like the editor and the engine are one. For example, I could add a set of CSG commands, or a built-in lightmapper. Since I have control of everything, I can write the commands to support whatever I want. I think this is going to lead to some very good things.

But yeah, I'll focus on CS.