Need some Blitz+ opinions

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Need some Blitz+ opinions

Slider(Posted 2003) [#1]
Now that Blitz+ has been out for a few months (I'm not sure how long exactly) and had a couple of upgrades, I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback on it...

1. Is the language the same as Blitz 3D, but with additional commands and/or a different event model (I seem to remember the events changing)?
Could you list some examples if syntax/commands have changed.

2. How easy is it to develop non game software, that could be created using VB or Delphi? I guess it's not as quick, but is it relatively close or time consuming to implement the UI?

3. What's the performance benefit for the 2d gfx routines? I assume there is no performace gain for general commands?

I've got a few 2d games (half finished) written in Blitz 3D and am wondering about moving them to Blitz+

Thanks!

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#2]
Blitz+ is 2D only

GfK(Posted 2003) [#3]
1. Its the same as Blitz Basic, but with GUI commands in it. Also, BlitzPlus is still seeing updates, Blitz Basic isn't.

2. I personally find it very difficult due to the lack of a form/window editor. All the gadgets have to be placed manually, in code, and it seems like a lot of trial and error to get stuff in the right place. Its crying out for a form editor like the one in PureBasic.

3. I don't really code much 2D stuff any more, so I don't know. I have heard people say that BlitzPlus runs stuff very slightly faster than Blitz Basic though.

The best thing you can do, is download the BlitzPlus demo and try your Blitz 2D game code in it. It should work with very few (if any) modifications.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#4]
Unless you are using GUI stuff you can pretty much the new Events model.

I find it fairly easy/simple to setup application stuff. GFK is right that it could be easier.

You will probably only see a substantial performance gain in WritePixel type stuff effects, using the new LockedPixels stuff, or even a DLL.

CS_TBL(Posted 2003) [#5]
You get used to it... coding the locations/sizes yourself. Even if there was a GUI editor for only 1$, I don't think I would buy it.. just a clever use of panels to group certain buttons etc. does most of the work for me.

Orca(Posted 2003) [#6]
Blitzplus has its rough edges, but I'd definitely recommend it. I had finally reached a point where I shelled out the cash and bought myself a copy of VB, and thats right when blitzplus was released(which I bought as well). VB is still sitting in the box, while I tend to use b+ on a daily basis.

The main love for me is, its still the blitz syntax. I had looked at vb, purebasic, and delphi-- I have nothing against them but I rather stick to as few languages as possible :) Once you get your head around the additional gui commands, its all good.

I've got a form editor that *should* be done soon. I just can't stand setting up the layout of my windows in code. Its tedious, and If you want to make changes later on...GRRR..

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#7]
Another plus in B+ over BlitzBasic is it's ability to run on any version of Windows with no DirectX requirement. All the old BlitzBasic commands are still there (with the v1.34 patch) so you don't have to make the dive into events straight away - but it's worthwhile figuring them out.

I havn't noticed any speed improvements personally but many others have. However I get a nice speed increase from the newly added OpenGL mode.

Slider(Posted 2003) [#8]
Thanks for the feedback!

Would you choose Blitz+ over VB/Delphi for a windowed graphics tool/app?

Hand coding forms sounds like the early days of windows programming... yuk! Sometimes I wish Mark was less secretive about his work and layed out some milestones (no deadlines though).

CodeGit(Posted 2003) [#9]
Blitz+ does NOT have any support for database programming. So, as good as it is, I am afraid it is still not a contender for VB and definetly NOT for Delphi.

Slider(Posted 2003) [#10]
My project will not need (SQL) DB access.

What about creating tools that don't need any runtime libs (like VB)?

I assume the run time requirements are only Direct X?

Also, I've heard B+ doesn't use 100% of the CPU unlike B3D - is this true?

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#11]
I purchased blitz+ for writing games, and I think it a great tool. But Blitz+ is still a game/multimedia tool.

Blitz+ is not a substitute for VB or Delphi by any measure. If you want to develop windows apps, Blitz+ is not for you.

However, there are times in GAMING that you need a good windows based interface. For example, you might want to have a windows gui based menu for setting screen resolution, bit depth, sound, etc., before you drop into the game full screen.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#12]
Well, it's all down to what you're use to using. Below is a current beta of a B+ project I'm in the process of completing. I found B+ ideal for WinAPI coding. It's not a question of what's best overall, it's a question of what's best for you. Everyone has their own coding style, one language may suit that better than another.

I will admit I've got some C++ stuff going on to fill in the gaps, but that's just a tribute to how open ended B+ can be, if you want it to be.

ProPixel 2D Beta

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#13]
I assume the run time requirements are only Direct X?

Yup. But since Direct X has been around by default in Windows (except for NT4 which needs service pack 5) then you don't really need to worry about it being a requirement.

Also, I've heard B+ doesn't use 100% of the CPU unlike B3D - is this true?

Yes - if you don't use the standard Blitz2D methods. If you use an event based timing system, everything is peachy =]