ART - - Why must it be SOO hard!?!?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/ART - - Why must it be SOO hard!?!?

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#1]
Yes, I am another programmer that can't draw stick men...yet alone high quality animations.

I have all the tools...Photoshop, Bryce, 3D Studio..etc...but as you know, having a tool doesn't mean you can use it effectivly.

ANYWAY, anyone know where I can either find some cheap artists or even better websites that helps guys like me out? I'm not interested in 3D...just nice 2D graphics...monsters, characters, tiles, etc.

Thanks
cb

SSS(Posted 2003) [#2]
try 3Dcafe.com that has some high quality free models, which you could render...

Tricky(Posted 2003) [#3]
I've the same problem... I was lucky a few pictures were drawn by a girl from Norway I know, and she DID a wonderful job... But now she's too busy and I can't rely on her, so I'm in the same boat once again... But I'll keep coding... Even with poor GFX you can create a wonderful game...

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#4]
Personally I think the biggest problem for any novice artist drawing people is the logic of anthropometrics.

If you don't get the arms, legs, head etc right in proper proportions your drawing, can look crap before you even get going.

For example most people think of drawing legs as a sausage shape but with a kink in the middle for the knees.
Whereas your thigh muscles are fatter than your shins and the ankles and pelvis joints. And that's just for standing up, imagine drawing a character laid down or facing into the screen.

You can get away with this more in 2D drawings but in 3D modelling. If you don't get the anthropometrics correct on your mesh, it won't look like a person at all.

I'd recommend anyone trying to get to grips with drawing to draw robotic people first, as there are less rules.

It doesn't matter what graphics programs you have, you need to have a bit of creative flair in order to succeed.

Seriously, practice with pen and paper first before drawing 2D on PC.

CS_TBL(Posted 2003) [#5]
http://www.wannalearn.com/Fine_Arts/Visual_Art/Drawing_and_Sketching/Anime/

WoeIsMe(Posted 2003) [#6]
A penpad is quite a useful tool - it's easier to draw freehand than using the mouse or any line/box/circle tools.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#7]
Bloody "how to draw anime"... or, "how to erase any traces of your own personal style in order to mechanically produce something completely generic"

Far better to train your eye and your hand to record what you actually SEE... it's a skill anyone can learn; you could take an evening art course if you like. It is a basic skill that can be applied to any style of art that you care to name. Learning to see properly is the key.

Oldefoxx(Posted 2003) [#8]
It's true that there is no substitute for creative ability,
but we all have it in different degrees and in different ways. There are two approaches to the creative process - a gut reaction and going on impressions, or working out a solid understanding of how and why certain things tend to please and others don't. The first is far easier to jump right in and do, as the other often requires a good bit of study, possibly in the fields of mathematics, physics, human anatomy, and so on.

Understood. So if you don't have all that, you want to be able to open your inner eye and find out what works for you. Now computers are the most unique creative tool ever made - they allow you to "borrow" skills and abilities that others have already put into code for you. And they allow people to co-develop on new projects, even if they never become directly involved. You don't have to waste your time by relearing or redoing work that has already been done well by someone else. Wouldn't it make more sence to "borrow" a random number generator, use a "shuffling" routine for a deck of 52 cards, even use the nifty card images provided in a library, rather than redo all that work from scratch? So the point is, determine what it is that you want to do, decide what part of it you intend to do on your own, then look for stuff to fill in the blanks.

One final small hint: If you want to learn to draw, for instance, you first have to break the bad habits you first learned as a kid. Everybody tries to draw from an early age, where the "right" way to draw people was with stick figures and round heads with some curly ringlets or straight hair sticking straight out. Two dots for eyes and a mouth that was a curve that angled up or down.

Even later, you learned stylized ways of presenting people's faces in profile or straight on, maybe learning a little about creating cartoon faces. To break with the pass, try drawing something familiar in an unfamiliar way - for instance, draw a human face from a photo turned upside down. You may be surprised at the results. Try to teach your eye to recognize proportions and relationships, such as how close the top of an ear matches up to the eyes, or how far down the face the nose comes, and where the ends of the mouth stop. But like others have said, learning to draw on a computer is a lot harder than learning to do it freehand on a piece of paper. Consider drawing out your ideas that way, then scanning them into your computer where you can tweak them or complete them once you have something solid worked out.