Blitz Plus is SLOWER than Blitz3D ?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Blitz Plus is SLOWER than Blitz3D ?

tkruk(Posted 2003) [#1]
I tried to an example from the Code Archives section, smooth
marquee scrolling text. It jumps on Blitz+ but on Blitz3D
it is smooth.

P.S. Anyone seen any examples of sine scrollerS? like the
old skool amiga type?

Tom

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#2]
Have you taken into account that B+ generally runs on an 'event' type system? This means that stuff (eg. screen updates) only happens when triggered by say the mouse/keyboard/timer etc. There are a couple of graphics examples that come with B+ that can be sped up dramatically by messing with the event triggers (2D particles example springs to mind).
:)

GfK(Posted 2003) [#3]
I wrote some code in Blitz3D to flip images using CopyRect. When I ran the same code in BlitzPlus it was still faster than ScaleImage, but 5x slower than Blitz3D.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#4]
With BlitzPlus you need to consider which Image "method" you will adopt. This choice will depend on what you are doing. Now, for full screen stuff, you are best using a mode 2 Image ie.. Image=LoadImage("mypic.bmp",2)

You should really only need to use default images (Dynamic) if you wish to preserve the images during Graphics mode changes mid program. Dynamic Images can be slower as they are handled internally and can shift between system and graphics memory.

Now, this leaves Mode 2 and 4, mode 2, is great for full screen stuff (using the old Graphics command), as this is the same as Blitz3D and BlitzBasics image layout and is known as a "Managed" image. This means they are loaded into graphics memory and stay there (if graphics memory is available). But, during any graphics mode change will be lost.

Mode 4 on the other hand is a "Scratch" Image. This (I have found) is superb for canvas blitting. Basically this type of image is loaded into System memory, therefore any swapping and manipulation of these images is CPU dependant rather than GPU dependant. These type of images are ideal for applications and desktop games.

Anyhow, hope that clears things up a little.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#5]
You need to recode some examples to take advantage of each language's strengths. I would have thought this was obvious to say the least. Like snarty says...