Thouts on the Native Graphics

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Thouts on the Native Graphics

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#1]
In the app I am working on, I am using the "native graphics". I have tested this app on a total of 34 different systems with various configurations and I have not run into any issues. It seems fast enough and stable enough for apps.

However, when testing it for 2D games, the software rendering in Jamagic blows away the software rendering in Blitz Plus. I hope that eventually Blitz will be able to compete with Jamagic when it comes to 2D games without using DD or OGL.

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#2]
hmm...B+ is pretty fast.

Could you post some tests using both?

cb

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#3]
And how fast is the logic part of Jamagic? Unless I want to do alpha blitting or some special effect like that in realtime, or when I drew and rotated a vector diagram with 6000 vectors in realtime to test my vector graphics library (which still worked at a nice 20 FPS), all my 2D blitz stuff has run at the maximum FPS that my monitor refresh allows.

I would be more concerned with how fast the logic part of your code runs. I have heard that the jamagic logic code is really slow.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#4]
Could you post some tests using both?
Tests were done using example games available for each... Test results IMHO are really moot for this as it solely depends on processor speed, etc.

For me, in pure software rendering Jamagic still comes out on top, especially on low end systems.

I have heard that the jamagic logic code is really slow.
Blitz IS faster, but Jamagic has never given me speed issues for games. Each language is different and requires a slightly different approach to get the max speed.

I would never consider Jamagic for 3D, but IMHO, for 2D games its fine.

I don't really do much game wise anymore and only am doing apps. Until Blitz Plus got the native graphics, I had been using Jamagic or IBasic for apps.

The only real bonus Jamagic has for apps over B+ is Jamagic is crossplatform. It is nice to be able to write a PocketPC version of an app in the same language as the PC version...

"IF" I were to do any more 2D games that required speed and decent FPS, I would likely use Blitz Plus and its OGL, which has been phenomonal in all tests I have done.