Problems on NT

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Problems on NT

drankin(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi Everybody,

I wish I could be more specific, but I simply seem to be having problems getting a small 2D game in B+ to run on Windows NT (4.0+). I've compiled my game using both B+ 1.11 and 1.34 and it runs fine on all the Win95/XP machines I've tried it on, but on 5 different NT machines it doesn't work at all. The 1.11 executable dies with:

'The instruction at "0x1001fb53" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".'

And the 1.34 executable dies with:

'Application failed to initialize properly.'

Unfortunately, I don't have access to NT myself to try and run the game from the IDE with the debugger. Do I have to do anything special to get B+ executables running on NT compared with all the other Windows?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#2]
Do these NT machines have DirectX on 'em? If so, what version (or what service packs are installed)? It should of course be checking for that, but...!

My BlitzPlus stuff has always worked on NT machines (you shouldn't have to do anything special), so not sure what's happening there...

GfK(Posted 2003) [#3]
If the NT systems are on a network (at your place of work, for instance), then its likely that your system administrator is somehow restricting the use of non-essential programs.

If not, then... I dunno. :)

drankin(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hmmmmmm . . . they are all on networks in offices, and I know for sure that three of the machines are in an office where the users couldn't even install RealPlayer because it was a "non-approved" program. I don't know enough about NT to know how they can restrict my game, but I guess that is a possibility. I'll also try to find out what DirectX and/or service packs are installed. For some reason I thought BlitzPlus didn't require DirectX. Is there a minimum version needed? Are there certain service pack requirements?

Thanks for the comments!

-Dave

Dock(Posted 2003) [#5]
I thought NT4 only supported up to Direct X5 or something like that. I'm pretty confident it's not able to run any recent direct X, so I doubt you'll be able to run blitz on NT.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#6]
>able to run any recent direct X, so I doubt you'll be able to run blitz on NT.<

BlitzPlus uses DX1 it will run fine on NT4

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#7]
drankin -

can you test the insectoids game on this machine?

is your game full screen or windowed?

drankin(Posted 2003) [#8]
Yes, I'll compile insectoids and try it on the machines tomorrow. My game is full screen 640 x 480.

cbmeeks(Posted 2003) [#9]
NT 4 only supports DirectX 3. And you get that with Service Pack 5. Surely, the admin would have put to last sp on NT (which is 6a) which enables NT machines to run DirectX 3. B+ uses DX1 so it should be fine. I would bet money that the NT boxes can only run "approved" programs.

cb

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#10]
BlitzPlus stuff definitely works on NT with DX3!