B+ and vid ram

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/B+ and vid ram

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#1]
Im no expert on DX or DD but becuase B+ uses Direct draw does it eat video ram like B2D does or does it use system? (my trial of B+ has run out so i cant check).

Just a thought cus im thinking of buying a cheap laptop (around £300) most of which only have 2-4MB Vid ram, and although ill be using for work i'd like do some 2D blitzing on it also.

Eikon(Posted 2003) [#2]
Depending on what flags you use when you load your images it can reside in either system or video mem. I would still suggest more then 4MB video ram because as we all know system mem is slow. You could read the online docs but ill just post you a snippet ;):

Loads an image and returns its handle. 

The optional flags parameter can be one of: 

1 : managed (image is frequently drawn but seldom modified - this is the default) 
2 : dynamic (image is frequently drawn and modified) 
4 : scratch (image is seldom drawn or modified) 

Managed images are the default. 

Dynamic images are the fastest, but can be 'lost' when the display mode changes. This means the 
contents of the image will be scrambled, and you will need to restore the image content. If you 
are frequently redrawing the image contents, this isn't really a problem. If not, you should use 
managed images! 

Scratch images are slow all round but consume no videomemory. These are good for things like title 
pages and 'temporary work' images. 

Note that canvas buffers and back buffers should be considered 'dynamic'.