attaching a window to a window..

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/attaching a window to a window..

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi guys. Is there any way to attach a "window to a window" in B+? I'm trying to create a "drop down" style menu bar that will be located about halfway down a client window. It will be borderless and just contain a series of drop down menus. The position on the client window is important and it must move with the client window if the user moves it.

I've tried creating a "panel" object and placing menu items in it, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas? Thx...

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#2]
Can't you put the code to reposition the client window in the "window move/resize" event?

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#3]
Possibly. I think the "menu window" would "lag" on the screen when the client was moved..
I'd like it to appear to the user that the "menu window" is integral with the the client window. I'll try it tho'...thx for the suggestion.

I found this older thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=17953
which is more along the lines I'm thinking of. (I think)
The "menu window" behaves more like a panel object that moves with the parent window...

skn3(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nope it doesn't lag.
I have used this in an application. Just use GadgetX(window) gadgetY(window), with the WindowMove event.

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thx. Hmm, I must be a bit thick-headed today. I've looked through the docs and haven't located a description of the WindowMove event...

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#6]
$801

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thx for the help guys. I think it'll work fine...

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#8]
@skn3[ac] Could you post a code snippet? I've been messing about with getting the "window in a window" attachment working and I'm just banging my head... Either it doesn't move or it lags... thx!

skn3(Posted 2003) [#9]
Code below on my machine does not lag.

Hope that helps

Global ParentWin    = CreateWindow("Parent",200,200,200,200,0,1)
Global ChildWin = CreateWindow("Child",100,200,100,100,ParentWin,17)

Global OldX=GadgetX(ParentWin)
Global OldY=GadgetY(ParentWin)

Repeat
	Select WaitEvent()
		Case $801 ; Win move
			Select EventSource()
				Case ParentWin
					NewX=EventX()
					NewY=EventY()

MoveX=NewX-OldX
					MoveY=NewY-OldY

OldX=NewX
					OldY=NewY

SetGadgetShape(ChildWin,GadgetX(ChildWin)+MoveX,GadgetY(ChildWin)+MoveY,GadgetWidth(ChildWin),GadgetHeight(ChildWin))
			End Select

Case $803 ; Win close
			End

End Select
Forever

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#10]
Thx! I found my problem by studying your example... It works perfectly now.