BlitzPlus and 3D

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/BlitzPlus and 3D

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
It was considered a neat trick, but an oddity when BlitzPlus was made to work with 3D in OpenGL. I have so much 3D code written for BlitzPlus, including CreateMesh() and matrix commands, that it's tempting to totally forgo Blitz3D and just write my own 3D engine.

I have no reason to do this right now, but it is interesting that all the OpenGL features, including per-pixel lighting, are potentially available.

Russell(Posted 2003) [#2]
Wouldn't there be a large performance hit if you did so? Just wondering. Do you think Mark has some 3D in mind for a future version of B+? Or just whetting our appetites for BMax when it eventually appears... ;)

Russell

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#3]
B+ IS BlitzMax, as I understand it.

There would be no performance hit if you wrote it right. I kind of like the degree of control it allows, but there is a lot of stuff that is a big pain in the ass to figure out.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#4]
Write it and sell it. I'd do it myself if I could.

But I'd rather just pay for it ;)

One thing though - if you do go ahead, try to make everything behave in a similar way to B3D so that the transition is a smooth one. A simple example would be MoveEntity() moving objects a similar 'distance' in both languages.

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#5]
Why don't you do some speed tests for your OpenGL code, against the same thing in Blitz3D? I'm sure you'll find B3D to be faster... somehow!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
I am not going to write any kind of public 3d lib. I'm just saying that there's nothing keeping anyone freom writing a new 3D engine.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#7]
Well, we all knew that....

Qcat(Posted 2003) [#8]
I wood love to see basic 3d commands in B+ this wood make making editing tools a lot eseyer. and code wood be esaly ported/from to blitz3d/blitzmax(When it is done)

unfucntley i dont have the skill or time to have have a go myself or i wood be having a go!!

Qcat

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#9]
hmm i believe Drago is doing this yet

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#10]
Maybe I'll put an unsupported chunk of code out.

I actually like OpenGL rendering better than Blitz3D.

You have to write a lot of your own "shell" functions to make useful commands out of the extremely low-level GL commands.

However, you have way more control, and with all the Blitz3D stuff I have ended up doing with my own code, it's not that big of a difference.

Drago(Posted 2003) [#11]
Yes, I am doing this, and it does require alot of effort,
but it is getting there, but I do have a lot left to do though.

Russell(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hold on a sec... B+ *IS* BMax? I hope you're wrong about this! (Unless B+ has a lot of serious upgrades coming) Or is BMax going to be B+ with a lot of extra functionality, in the same way that b3d was to b2d?

Russell

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#13]
As I understand it, BMax will be a seperate product, but B+ is being used as the testbed.

Russell(Posted 2003) [#14]
Hmm... Hope we don't run into another 'no upgrade discount' debate when BMax comes out :(

Russell

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#15]
Oh, I think we will =]

Russell(Posted 2003) [#16]
'prolly right ;) Anyone have any idea as to how much BMax will go for? I'll put my guess at:

$149 - for new purchasers
$149 - for owners of Blitz 3D
$149 - for owners of Blitz Plus
$149 - for owners of Blitz 2D
$99 - for owners of Dark Basic Pro - just kidding! (They pay double price ;)

Russell

Steve Fash(Posted 2003) [#17]
LOL@Russell