TIP: Underlining you window's menu

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/TIP: Underlining you window's menu

Murilo(Posted 2003) [#1]
If you want to create a standard "underline" beneath your window's main menu, use:

CreateProgBar(0, 0, <window width>, 2, <parent window handle>).

Give it a whirl...

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#2]
Alternatively, if you're the sort of person that thinks this would be a waste of a progress bar, use a panel like this: (Assuming your window is called 'window')

pnl = CreatePanel(0,0,ClientWidth(window),4,window,1)
SetGadgetLayout pnl,1,1,1,0

NB: The last variable in CreatePanel ("style") is not documented, but is shown in the statusbar when you press F1 in the usual way. It creates a panel with a "sunken" border.

SDF_of_BC(Posted 2003) [#3]
I've been wondering what the last numbers do becease some work and some don't. :D

Eikon(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yea, we need raised panels as well.

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#5]
what for? You could just use a disabled button with no text..?

Eikon(Posted 2003) [#6]
Because theres no need to rig everything. If a panel can be sunken it should be able to raise as well.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#7]
F**k the useless panels, I need "normal" group boxes ;c)

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#8]
I was just kidding, Eikon, I don't think a disabled button would work very well anyway. Yeah a raised panel would be good, or just the ability to have lines on the window canvas (not a canvas gadget) with the appropriate windows colours.

What's got up your backside, Brice? Panels are in no way useless, and nor are they abnormal as far as grouping is concerned. What would you consider a "normal" group box? Panels are great IMO because they can be used to recolor a window, they can be used to hold images, and can move multiple gadgets around at once. Not useless IMO.

Murilo(Posted 2003) [#9]
Alternatively, if you're the sort of person that thinks this would be a waste of a progress bar, use a panel
But it doesn't look the same (i.e. standard Windows) - Not here anyway... Already tried that one before I settled on the ProgBar.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#10]
Panels are in no way useless
They are for apps as they do not conform the the "Windows standard" that is necessary if you actually expect your EUs to use your app.

What would you consider a "normal" group box?
The "normal" Windows standard.Take a look at the "frames" in VB, or the group boxes in languages like IB, LB, or any other 32bit programming language.

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think that frames would be a good addition to BlitzPlus. But as for grouping objects for the sake of positioning on screen, I'd say a panel does the job very well.

Even Microsoft Word 2002 doesn't use Microsoft's "normal" standard of frames (looking at its Options dialog box). Instead the groups are sorted in rows with the title being a label with a 3D line stretching across the tab (rather than all the way around it). The 3D line is quite easy to mimic for the time being, while a panel object can be used to group everything.

I can't picture any EUs deciding not buy an app just because it doesn't use every normal Windows standard. As long as it contains simple controls, and the expected WIMP interface, it's easy to understand. Take a look at Bryce for a good example of an app that uses hardly any Windows standards for common controls.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#12]
But as for grouping objects for the sake of positioning on screen, I'd say a panel does the job very well.
Unfortunately, I will not use them, they look like crap. This is my ONLY complaint with Blitz Plus though. Other than not having standard frames/groupboxes and having to resort to the old 16bit panel style, I love Blitz Plus.

can't picture any EUs deciding not buy an app just because it doesn't use every normal Windows standard.
Call me old fashioned, but I take pride in my work and do not do things halfassed. I have a hard enough time trying to get EUs to swallow the philosophy that they need to install DX just to run a simple application. Luckily Mark has stated that GDI/Software modes are coming which will remedy that.

SDF_of_BC(Posted 2003) [#13]
panels are good I used them in a little app for sister to create a banner across the top of the window it adds a nice affect.