WindowsCE

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/WindowsCE

Warren(Posted 2003) [#1]
I don't have a lot of experience with Windows CE/Pocket PC yet, so I'll throw this newbie question out here :

Does BlitzPlus create executables that run on Windows CE? Or is that not possible?

skn3(Posted 2003) [#2]
No

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
Alrighty ... so in this vein, has anyone here attempted PocketPC development? I know the new version of GAPIDraw comes out tomorrow, but that only seems to handle graphics.

Anyone have experience with WindowsCE? Recommend any good API's? Feeling pretty? Err, scratch that last one ...

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yes, I have developed for the Pocket PC in the past, and plan to in the future.

Windows CE is a long dead OS and it would not be in your best interest to support it. Everything uses the Pocket PC OS now.

I am currently using Jamagic for Pocket PC development and am quite pleased.

Alternatives to Jamagic I recommend:

PocketC www.orbworks.com

MicroSoft's Embedded VC++ or VB which are free (big assed download though)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#5]
Everything uses the Pocket PC OS now.

"Everything"? I just bought an iPaq machine and it uses Windows CE. Are you trying to sell me on something or are you telling the truth? :)

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#6]
"Everything"? I just bought an iPaq machine and it uses Windows CE. Are you trying to sell me on something or are you telling the truth? :)
Depends on what you bought. If you bought one of the old CompaQ iPaqs it could very well have Windows CE OS on it.

Any of the current HP or Compaq iPaqs listed on the HP/Compaq site or in catalogs run the Pocket PC 2002 OS, as does the Toshiba's, Casio and ViewSonic.

Although I have not been a huge fan of Microsoft's attempts at palm sized computers (I prefer the Palm OS), I have been developing for handheld/palmtop systems since the Psion Series 3 in 1991.

The main problem in the past with Pocket PCs were too many different CPUs and having to compile your program for each CPU out there. With the exception of a few cheap Casio's everything seems to use the Intel ARM or the newer Intel X scale processors. The X scale can still run software compiled for the ARM. Less compatibility issues now.

CodeGit(Posted 2003) [#7]
You can upgrade the older iPaqs to run Pocket Pc 2002. Just go to the HP home site.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#8]
Heres a link for PocketPC programming.

And theres also GameWrite, can be found via www.ppc4all.com

Griz(Posted 2003) [#9]
Pocket PC 2002 is value added windows CE. It uses Windows CE as the operating system but adds features like Word, Excel, etc.

I would love to see a Blitz style development language on the Pocket PC.