CreateHTMLView() - How good is it?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/CreateHTMLView() - How good is it?

Karbon(Posted 2003) [#1]
How well is CSS and such supported with the HTMLView gadget?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#2]
It uses Internet Explorer, so anything that IE supports in terms of page rendering, the HTMLView gadget will...

poopla(Posted 2003) [#3]
B+ has HTML stuff?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#4]
BlitzPlus supports the Microsoft Internet Explorer 'control'. This is essentially the portion of IE that displays the HTML, so yes, in BlitzPlus you can display HTML pages. That's currently pretty much the limit of it though...

Mark Tiffany

Eikon(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yea but how about when a pop up opens. Is there any way to contain it in another b+ window? Your blitz browser loses all mystique when a plain IE window pops out of it ;)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#6]
As I say, it's not too fully featured! It is essentially exactly the same as what you get in IE. That includes right click menus, links opening in proper IE windows if they have a different target configured, and I would assume javascript popups, etc will continue to persist.

I'd suggest it's use is limited (for the moment) to application specific documentation / info (be that local files or web-based) where you can control (i.e. prevent) users from getting to the "outside world".

To be honest, I think that's as much usefulness as is needed though, as there's little point in building a Blitz Internet Browser using this control though, as you may as well just be using IE for your browser...although it would be nice to be able to set the style to prevent right click menus appearing, and maybe even stop scriptlets from running. But as it is simply the Microsoft IE control, there may not be much that Mark can do about that!

Eikon(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yea, I saw someone else mention using HTML for mission briefing or help or something. Just need to get it working in fullscreen and disable the right click menu and it will be very useful.

Kevin_(Posted 2003) [#8]
There's alot more to it actually when you think about it. You can actually create dynamic web pages in Blitz by creating an output file of html tags and then loading it back in using the URL on your hard drive. This opens up amazing possiblities....

You can create web pages on the fly based on the output of your current program. This totally illiminates the need to store static web pages. How do I know this? Because I have done it and it works.

Regards

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#9]
I would still really like URL link hijacking tho. Would open the whole thing up a lot more.

Karbon(Posted 2003) [#10]
Prof : How does the HTML control allow you to create dynamic websites?

My "real job" deals mostly with PHP so I'm no stranger to web programming but HTMLView() is an interpreter for HTML, not really anything else - right? Sure you could generate HTML from Blitz, but you could from any programming language that spits out text :-)

Just trying to understand what you're getting at..

Thanks!

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#11]
Karbon - he meant exactly what you said: generate with Blitz.

Karbon(Posted 2003) [#12]
Sure, just wondering now the HTMLView control plays into that :-)

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#13]
I use the HTMLView control to create webpages in this source-included app: http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=cyberseth02212003173748&comments=no
Basically whenever the user clicks on the tab to view HTML, all html code is saved to a temporary file and then quickly loaded into the HTMLView control.

Note bene! The HTMLV control doesn't support back/forward commands. (Or so I've known so far.)

Eikon(Posted 2003) [#14]
Im pretty sure it does CS. MasterBeakers example shows this and i've coded forward and back buttons myself.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2003) [#15]
Cyberseth - The commands you're after are HTMLViewBack() and HTMLViewForward()

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#16]
The texture browser from CShop is a dynamically generaetd HTML page. Unfortunately, Blitz has no way of returning the address of the page, which is why I used PureBasic. With PureBasic, I just made the image links to an address that was the name of the image. When the link is clicked, PureBasic returns the address, and I know which image they picked.