Jumping off walls in the FPS sample..

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Jumping off walls in the FPS sample..

HellFire2345(Posted 2013) [#1]
Well I can't really explain much else, but you can jump off walls in the FPS sample that comes with blitz3d.

I simply added the quake 3 stage, sounds, and custom gun model, everything else is the same in the code.

Any way to fix this?

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#2]
I can't see any jumping code at all in my copy of that...?

Anyway, you probably want to investigate some technique similar to the one it uses to detect ladders: separate floors and other "jumpable" surfaces into a separate collision object from walls, so that they can have a second collision type; that way, you can have simple stop collisions against both, but only collisions with floor objects have the ability to grant the player permission to jump, using a simple test for collision against the floor type.

You could work out something more complicated involving normals and mechanical forces, but as long as your level design is simple (flat floors and vertical walls, or near enough - sorry can't watch the video so please forgive me if this doesn't apply), there's no need to do this.

(Remember that good level design and naive code is usually a better option than superpowered code that can handle any level mesh, as restricted design lets you optimise scenes more easily: if you never have a steep ramp, you never need to worry about climbing physics, and that means better performance.)

Also, wrong forum.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2013) [#3]
what folder is this in?