I'm trying to learn Blitzplus can anyone help?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/I'm trying to learn Blitzplus can anyone help?

Ethan(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey everyone I'm trying to learn basic , and I'm having a lot of trouble learning the language. I know that basic is one of the easiest languages to learn ,but I'm a beginner. The program has a full list of
examples of the code but it is hard to put it together. I've also watched
those Orange Moon Network videos on you tube. I got to video 8 and decided that I was making a video game but not learning the language.
In short does anyone have good links to places that can help?

P.S. here's the link to those videos if anyone reading this wants to see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOQzN5mHvfE&playnext=1&list=PL5A3140380ED5A9ED&feature=results_main

Last edited 2012

Ethan(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hey everyone I'm trying to learn basic , and I'm having a lot of trouble learning the language. I know that basic is one of the easiest languages to learn ,but I'm a beginner. The program has a full list of
examples of the code but it is hard to put it together. I've also watched
those Orange Moon Network videos on you tube. I got to video 8 and decided that I was making a video game but not learning the language.
In short does anyone have good links to places that can help?

P.S. here's the link to those videos if anyone reading this wants to see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOQzN5mHvfE&playnext=1&list=PL5A3140380ED5A9ED&feature=results_main

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#3]
Andy MC is generally considered to have recorded some excellent YouTube beginner tutorials (I say "generally considered" because I haven't actually watched them myself).

You can also check out the Blitz3D section and tutorials if there's not enough information here in the BlitzPlus section, as almost everything done with Blitz3D's 2D engine will work equally well in BlitzPlus (or better, since BlitzPlus is 2D-focused). The Blitz3D forums have - and continue to get - a lot more posts.

Also, if there's a specific thing you don't understand, please do ask about it and whatever it is, the rest of us will try to help (it takes a very skilled person to write a complete programming tutorial, but most of us can at least help with specific questions like "what is a variable?" or "how do I create a window?").

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#4]
I think for learning BASIC it is not very usefull to think about making a game at first.

Better is to understand each command by coding some small "gimmicks" and let them grow. Let's say:

1. a grenn RECT on a red Screen

Did you get it? Now make it more:

2. The RECT running over the screen

and so on:

3. The RECT follows the mouse

4. Two RECTs: one follow the mouse the other is running

5. Let the RECT return on the screen borders

6. Find out the collision between both.

7. ...

Do you understand my system? Each step should run, before you continue

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#5]
Firstly I'd recommend you have a casual browse through the documentation that comes with the language. Just give yourself a quick and rough overview of what's available within the language. Maybe copy some of the code examples there and have a bit of a play with them for the lulz.

Next you should copy some of the code samples that come with the language download (I'm not sure what samples come with BlitzPlus). Copy and paste the folder that any sample that catches your eye comes in and try running the sample. It may not work out of the box. There may be an external Include that you will need to incorporate directly or replace with a Graphics command. Make sure you also have any media files required for the sample. Modify the code sample in whatever way floats your boat. Play around with it and see if you can turn it into anything interesting. Once you get bored with playing around with a particular sample just see if you can find another one that interests you more.

Then move on to the code archives on this site. Most of the code there comes with a working example so there's plenty of material to have some fun with. Find a few bits of code that interest you and see if you can turn them into anything interesting. Just focus on having fun with them.

Different people learn in different ways, but personally the way I learned to code was by actually coding and then browsing the documentation (or asking on the forum) when I hit a problem I didn't have the knowledge to solve. The main thing is to have fun with it.

Last edited 2012

Ethan(Posted 2012) [#6]
Wow!

Thanks everyone for all the advice I didn't think anyone would respond. I see your process midimaster that is helpful thanks.Zethrax, I thought I needed books, online lessons etc. Which was just money, money, and more money. I will try that thanks a lot. Once I understand the examples I
need to know how to put it all together though.

Oh sorry for my grammar in the topic I will fix that.

Ethan(Posted 2012) [#7]
Wow!

Thanks everyone for all the advice I didn't think anyone would respond. I see your process midimaster that is helpful thanks.Zethrax, I thought I needed books, online lessons etc. Which was just money, money, and more money. I will try that thanks a lot. Once I understand the examples I
need to know how to put it all together though.

Oh sorry for my grammar in the topic I will fix that.

Ethan(Posted 2012) [#8]
Oh yasha thanks and I actually will ask how do I make a window, and once I have my window how do I put buttons in it that do for example maximize the screen?

andy_mc(Posted 2012) [#9]
It's good to decide whichd riection you want to go in too. Are you trying to make applications? Or games? If games, then are you aiming at platform games or text based? all these factors affect the type of learning you need to do. I have blitzplus but have never used the windows commands for buttons and menus, etc.... I've only used it for drawing 2D graphics for games.

OrangeMoonNet(Posted 2014) [#10]
Made progress Ethan?