Help Craziness is setting in

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Help Craziness is setting in

Szon(Posted 2012) [#1]
I haven't programmed in BASIC in over 25 years but I kind of keep my hand in it by doing Javascript.
The #1 problem I am having is that I copy the source code for a program from the forum pages, I paste it to a new BlitzPlus work area and right off the bat I get errors. Have done nothing except paste. I am using the 1.4.7 version.
I am using this to keep my mind busy while out of work. I can do internet and webpage design for so long and I want another challange. Thank you.

PS Boy, has the BASIC interpreter has changed after all this time. I thought I knew it. Sobering feeling

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#2]
I paste it to a new BlitzPlus work area and right off the bat I get errors

We can't help unless you tell us what you did. What code did you try to run? What errors did you get?

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#3]
first to be shure, that the BitzPlus is running correct test a very small program like this

[bbcode]Graphics 800,600,16,2
Text 10,10,"Hello, press any key..."
Flip
WaitKey()

Text 10,30,"OK, no again a key to quit"
Flip
WaitKey()[/bbcode]

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#4]
Take care that the code you're pasting doesn't use external media (images, sounds etc.) or userlibs.

If the program needs additional files and you're just bringing in the code, it won't work.

And to second Floyd's ---
"What code did you try to run? What errors did you get?"

Szon(Posted 2012) [#5]
I apologize all. Frustration hit in. For instance I copied source from the program "Neptune's Caverns, Updated and modernized" from the code archives (http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=811).
I hit f7 to check code and I get an a java alert popup saying "Function 'locate' not found". Is it because the code was back in 2003 (9 years ago), has the interpreter been updated to the point where the old code is no longer backward compatible and I need to ignore code archives?
Any program I copy and paste source from the archives I get errors. I hope this helps. Thank you Community.

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#6]
this game is not a BlitzPlus code, but a BlitzBasic! This very old language had a "console" where you could move the cursor to a certain position with the command LOCATE.

In BlitzPlus you have no LOCATE anymore and those old style text based games are not running very well and only after some "adjustments"

So you could replace the ...

LOCATE 0,0

...with a
CLS

But you also have to replace all ...
PRINT

...with
PRINT ""

Then it will start....

Until you are not very firm with Basic programming it is not a good idea to paste long code sample and try to staert it. Better you visit the BlitzPlus Tutorial Board...

... to make your first steps. Then you search for short samples in the code archieves. But be careful to paste BlitzPlus codes.

Between the three main versions BlitzBasic BlitzPlus and BlitzMax there are only a few but essential differences. If you know them you can convert any code within minutes. And there are always the same problems. So if you converted your first one, the next will be no longer a problem....

And at least... don't struggle to long with a proble... ask us! We are a forum...

Szon(Posted 2012) [#7]
That answers a lot! I thought I knew BASIC, that is why I was going crazy. Let me change these and see what happens.

Thank you Midimaster!