webhosts and file sizes

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/webhosts and file sizes

gerald(Posted 2012) [#1]
I made difference games about 25 mb in size. They zip to 12 mb. I can't find a webhost that can handle files of this size, upload and download.

Anyone know of a site. I would like to avoid zipping them as this adds a step to the process that can be frustrating.

Are there sites that can handle 500 mb files, up and download?

Names would be good. I'll contact about prices etc.

1 & 1 handles 10 mb files, and yahoo gives conflicting info that says 5 mb only or sometimes 25 mb. I cannot get clear exact answers.

Gerald

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#2]
what do you mean with "upload" and "download"? I have files of 72MB on my 1&1 account. I upload them with a ftp-software and the people download it with their browers. no errors! no problems!

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#3]
gerald: 1&1 would likely not suit you, their TOS clearly states:

Bandwidth use, including but not limited to data retrieval from your Web Site, e-mail traffic, and downloads, shall not exceed six gigabytes per month.

Since they limit bandwidth to 6GB per month, you would hit that in no time with 500MB files. If 12 people downloaded one 500MB file, you would have used up your monthly bandwidth allowance.

gerald(Posted 2012) [#4]
To Midmaster:

Do you have to get software to upload big files with FTP? I used to have a 1&1 account but only had the 10 mb upload button. This was easy and worked, but was only 10 mb.

Is therer a "user friendly" (idiot proof) site with tools that do this (upload big files: 25 mb) with a button push, like the 1&1 10 mb button?

The second party tool for FTP is confusing for me. Why can't the site have file handling (file manager) included? Does anyone know a site that does included.

GaryV:

Thanks for explaining that bandwith thing to me. I didn't understand it ment an additive total of transfer. I thought it ment the speed a transfer occured at.

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#5]
your 1&1 account offers a ftp possibility with own account and password.

I use a windows ftp-software (WS_FTP) to connect to my 1&1 ftp-account. It has two windows. Left window my computer, right window the 1&1 space. I drag the files from left window to right and the ftp software starts to transfer it. Very easy, very comfortable. At the end i will get a accoustic sign, that the transfer has finished. You can also drag a dozend of files between the windows at the same time, the ftp-software will work them one after the other. And you also can rename, delete files at the 1&1 space or change the properties with this software.

There are also a lot of free ftp programs.

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#6]
I don't know of any pay web hosting site that would limit transfer to 6 gig per month. That's completely ridiculous. Even the free sites usually offer more than that.

Personally I use Hostgator and transfer tens to hundreds of gigabytes a month with no problem. There are no limits on filesize that I'm aware of. If there are then they would likely be in the gigabytes.

You can check out hostgator at http://www.hostgator.com/ . They're probably the best shared host out there. I've been with them for years with no problems. If you want to save yourself some money with them ($9.94), use the coupon code: saveathostgator

gerald(Posted 2012) [#7]
I signed up for host gator. I will try to learn this FTP stuff. 6 gb/mo is small for games. Band width still sounds like modem speak for speed of transfer to me.

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#8]
You can transfer files to your account using the file manager that comes with your web hosting control panel either individually or by zipping them up and then unzipping them once they're on the server. If you prefer using FTP then I recommend using the free Filezilla ( http://filezilla-project.org/ ) FTP program.

gerald(Posted 2012) [#9]
Host Gator is a bust! They require the advanced and expensive ($25/mo) buisness or reseller plan to get ananymous ftp.

egnyte costs 25/mo also. I'll move this discussion from programming to general discussion as it is not programming related.