Type Ownership

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Type Ownership

InvincibleWall(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am making a Side Scrolling Shooter game in which I am using types to make instances of all the objects in the game

-Player
-Enemies
-Platforms
-Bullets

and so on...

well I have done this successfully so far but I have run into a problem. I am now trying to make a lava/fire/damage-the-player-when-he-touches-this block and I thought it would be nice if it looked different that other blocks (I think the player would be much happier that way). How I planned on doing this was to make the object fade dark to light and back, that went fine but didn't look dangerous enough so I thought it would be cool to have sparks floating upward randomly shaking back and forth as they did so. That went fine as well... until I added another instance of the flaming block. That did NOT go well they started updating each others sparks so that they traveled at twice the normal speed and so even faster if more were added

the first thing i did was create 2 types

Type Steam
	Field x,y
	Field xv,yv
	Field Limit
End Type

Type Fire
	Field x,y
	Field w,h
	Field Limit,Cur
	Field Flame.Steam
End Type

and a function to create fire blocks in which i can stick into my stage making function to create an instance of a fire block

Function Create_Fire(x,y,w,h)
	Lava.Fire = New Fire
	Lava\x = x
	Lava\y = y
	Lava\w = w
	Lava\h = h
	Lava\Limit = Lava\w/25+1
End Function

now in the update stage I made it check to see if it had the same number of sparks as it's limit and if not create a spark

For Create = Lava\Cur To Lava\Limit
	Lava\Flame = New Steam
	Lava\Flame\x = Rand(Lava\x-Lava\w/2,Lava\x+Lava\w/2)
	Lava\Flame\y = Lava\y-Lava\h/2
	Lava\Flame\Limit = Rand(30,50)
	Lava\Cur = Lava\Cur + 1
Next

then when i make a FOR... NEXT loop to draw/update the sparks it updates the sparks for ALL the fire blocks is there a way to make it only update the sparks it "owns" and not all of the sparks present on the screen?

if you need more info just say so

*EDIT*

I figured it out about 5 seconds after I posted this
I had the spark update loop inside the Fire Block update loop thinking it would update only it's own when really it updated them all each time it updated the block

when the Update Sparks should have been by itself

**EDIT**

okay never mind that didn't work... my question still stands

For Lava.Fire = Each Fire
		For Lava\Flame = Each Steam
			Color Rand(170,255),10,10
			Oval Lava\Flame\x-2-Screenx,Lava\Flame\y-2-Screeny,4,4,1
			Lava\Flame\x = Lava\Flame\x - Rand(-1,1)
			Lava\Flame\y = Lava\Flame\y - 1
			Lava\Flame\Limit = Lava\Flame\Limit - 1

If Lava\Flame\Limit <= 0
				Delete Lava\Flame
				Lava\Cur = Lava\Cur - 1
			End If
		Next
	Next

this is the loop -,-