Make application run on other computer/OS.

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Make application run on other computer/OS.

gerald(Posted 2010) [#1]
How do you get a blitzplus application to open on another computer? My application runs on the box I made it on but no other. I get windows encounter problem send/no send messages. Is an installer program the answer?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
An installer shouldn't make a difference.

Anyway:

- Are you using any 3rd party libraries / DLLs that may not be present?
- Are you referring to any fonts that may not be present?
- Are you opening any screen resolution(s) that may not be supported on the target PC?
- Did you include *all* necessary media (images/sounds/etc.) when you made a copy for the other computer?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#3]
In addition to xlsior's list...

-Also are you referring to absolute file paths which may not exist on the other Pc...better to use relative paths where can..

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#4]
Good advice so far.

I get windows encounter problem send/no send messages.
Can you clarify this problem a little.

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#5]
Just a note; B+ programs typically only run on Window's systems and do not fare very well under emulation (i.e. Wine on Linux).

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#6]
Can you clarify this problem a little.

I'd interpreted that as he was getting one of those "Your application stopped responding, do you want to send an error report to Microsoft?" kind of messages.

gerald(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thanks for responding.

I found that my library of art was on a path not available to the other computer. I set the folder in C:\documents and settings\folder name and then it ran.

Also w2k is more tolerant of poor code. I am a beginner and didn't know I needed to load my art to both the front and back buffer as I put 5 markers on the background, one by one, and it requires flipping each time a marker goes on and loading it to the other buffer as well so it remains when a new marker is put on the background and flipped. I now can run the applications on my XP box as well.

Will these run on vista and 7 as well? That I still don't know.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#8]
Don't hard-code any paths!

Under Windows Vista and 7 'documents and settings' isn't even a real folder anymore (it's a redirect to c:\users) , there's no guarantee that it will continue to be there in future versions. Even worse, on non-English versions of windows (which account for a significant percentage of machines world-wide), the folder is most likely called something different altogether.

Use the windows API to determine the proper location of the folder that you're allows to write to in the filesystem ad make sure to use Microsoft's programming guidelines to limit your writes to the 'allowed' locations...