Top Down View Art? Backgrounds? Anything?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Top Down View Art? Backgrounds? Anything?

Waz(Posted 2009) [#1]
HI,

Learning Blitz again, I have an idea for a game and rather than reading a book from start to end I am the kind of person who finds learning much easier and enjoyable by doing.

So I want to start making my idea and refrence to the books and tutorials as I get stuck....

My big issue is I suck at art, I can not even do stick men.

Are there any sites I can get top down view char art and so forth?

I found a few sprite sites but they were all NES, arcade etc.
Just wanted a top down view like from the first GTA game.

And a few images for backgrounds etc.

Any suggestions?

BTW could BlitzBasic with the right knowledge make a game like the oringinal GTA?

Regards

waz

Waz(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hard to find any, aye.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#3]
BTW could BlitzBasic with the right knowledge make a game like the oringinal GTA?

i never played it but if i remember what i saw and read about it, then yes you can make that kind of game in blitzplus, you mostly need the media, which as you said is hard to come by outside of snes rom rips.

most gfx artists are moving on to texturing as 3d media is the must have of every game these days, classic old school arcade look and feel sprites are few and far between in portfolios.

when i got blitz years ago it came with a samples folder, one sprite sheet was a syndicate like trench coat man with rifle and iir 16 direction of movement sprites, which would be good for the outside bits.

most 2d games use pre rendered to sprites or 3d in 2d techniques, so you could find a car off turbo squid etc, view it from above at different angles and heights and save them out as sprite sheets. sometimes blitz's built in rotate image works, sometimes it doesnt, so its good to have a few back up rotation images as a back up

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#4]
I would just draw your own, even if they look bad. If you want to learn the programming, don't worry about the art until you get a basic game made.

And I'd suggest reading that book ;)

Waz(Posted 2009) [#5]
the book has lots of incorrections..

the basic plus for teens 2nd edtion.

its ok book, so poorly printed tbh

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
search google images if you just need placeholders... theres lots out there

SuperSonic7(Posted 2009) [#7]
It isn't hard to get your hands on resources. What is hard is getting what you exactly want. always remember that. Getting sprites that look exactly like stuff in GTA will probably be impossible. You can try and search for things at least remotely close, but as Sauer said back there, if you're just learning, make crappy sprites. If the game turns out good and could actually have potential as an enjoyable game, you could search then.

PS go to The Spriter's Resource for everything doing with sprites.
www.spriters-resource.com (make sure you add that hyphen in between and don't add "the" at the beginning of "spriters-resource" otherwise you'll end up on the wrong site)