more TCP grief

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/more TCP grief

El Neil(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi guys,

I'm trying to write a simple TCP client app which recieves a message from a TCP server and displays it on screen. I can get it to work the other way round (client talking to server) but this won't work for what I need. Basically, I've got an RFID reader program which acts as a server, so all I need Blitz for is the client bit, but at the moment I'm trying to get the whole thing working in Blitz so I've made a makeshift server. All servers and clients are always on the same machine. Here's the code:

;server code

timer = CreateTimer (1)

svrGame=CreateTCPServer(50000) 

If svrGame<>0 Then 
Print "Server started successfully." 
Else 
End 
End If 

strmGame=OpenTCPStream("127.0.0.1",50000) 

While Not KeyHit(1) 

WriteLine strmGame,"testing"
Print"sent"

WaitTimer timer

Wend 

End 

;client code

timer = CreateTimer(1)

If strmGame = 0 Then RuntimeError "couldnt open stream"

While Not KeyDown (1)

Print ReadLine$(strmGame)

WaitTimer(timer)

Wend

End

Basically, the server runs okay, and as far as I can tell sends the message (it prints "sent" over and over). The client is printing the contents of readline() each time, but the contents is an empty string. I've tried using readavail() to get the size of the incoming message and it's returning zero.

Any ideas would be much appreciated,

Neil

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
Sorry cannot help you completely right now, as at work, but here is a link to a small TCP library I put together a while ago. (very simple)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2403#comments

El Neil(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks, Matty.

I used your code to see if I could get it working, but the square on the client screen isn't moving. We do not understand enough about B+ to get it to work.

We just need a bare minimum hack (i.e. no need for error checking, stability, user friendliness, or graphics) - only as much as the code as I posted above.

All we need the client to do is open a stream to the correct port, repeatedly check for a string, and then print each string when it is received. The server just needs to send a random string every so often. Is what I posted anywhere near?

Cheers

neil

Wings(Posted 2009) [#4]
Error in server..

shold be
strmGame = Accepttcpstream(svrGame)

Wings(Posted 2009) [#5]
Corrected Server Code

ClientCode