Problems with arrays

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Problems with arrays

SuperSonic7(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello,
I'm trying to make a 5 by 5 board for a puzzle game. I'm using arrays and defining it as such:

SuperSonic7(Posted 2009) [#2]
Whoops, accidentally pressed the post button.

...it as such:
Dim board(5,5)
board(1,1) = 0
;...and so on

so, since the pieces in the game have four sides (left, right, up, down) I was wondering how I store such information in the board. I really don't want to have to do something like this:
Dim boardLeft(5,5)
.....so on
Dim boardRight(5,5)
.....so on

i feel like there's an easier way to do this. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#3]
so, since the pieces in the game have four sides (left, right, up, down) I was wondering how I store such information in the board

What information, like what is to each side of the piece?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
You could do something like this:

Dim board (5,5,1)

(x,y,z)

x= x location
y= y location
z= side (just pick four values, e.g. 1,2,3,4 to indicate left,right,up,down, and store these in this slot. )

SuperSonic7(Posted 2009) [#5]
Response to Sauer...
Each side of the pieces have different colors (blue, red, green, etc.) which I'm representing by a number (1=blue, etc.)

SuperSonic7(Posted 2009) [#6]
Response to xlsior...
I already tried using a third dimension, and it won't let me store one. I'm gonna try again, but I'm pretty sure when I tried it it didn't work.

SuperSonic7(Posted 2009) [#7]
Never mind! I can store a third dimension in the array. Before, it must have been a syntax error on my part. Thanks for the help!

Just one last side question: does Dim mean dimension, Declare In Memory, or both?

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#8]
I always read it as dimension, but declare in memory makes just as much sense.