DirectPlay issues

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/DirectPlay issues

acolite246(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi- I'm programming a game and am using directplay to send multiplayer data.

When I start my game, the host starts up and loads the map. So I don't think that there is a problem with the host.

(Also the code I use puts hosting as top priority, so when the host recieves a message, all other commands are 'ignored')

When I open up another instance of the game (f6) and join the server, the client hangs, trying to send a message to the server asking what map it is.

I put a loop that resends the message until the message gets recieved by the server, and have made my program highly verbose so I can figure out where it hangs.

It hangs during the send/resend loop and the host is not recieving the message (even on the same computer!)

I don't really want to use TCP/UDP because I do not understand the commands.

Do you have any suggestions?

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#2]
There should be a simple example program that came with BlitzPlus that you can test with to verify Direct Play works on your system as expected.

acolite246(Posted 2008) [#3]
This is annoying.
I've edited this post about 10 times, not wanting to double post...

I've run some more diagnostics, and my program recieves the message on both sides. (Host and client)

When I run it I use this code
debuglog "Recieved message from "+netmsgfrom()+"with data "+netmsgdata()

and it prints
Recieved message from PLAYERIDHERE with data 0.

So my guess is that it isn't reading the message properly- but I have run smaller test programs with no difficulties!

acolite246(Posted 2008) [#4]
SOLVED!!

Syntax error on my part- thanks for the help though!