Executables and viruses?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/Executables and viruses?

Tomas Khan(Posted 2008) [#1]
Okay, this is the absolute strangest thing I've encountered relating to BlitzPlus.

I just finished one of my games, so I turned it into an executable. I also had an older executable that didn't have some of the features of the final version. I wake up this morning and BOTH of them have this virus called "Trojan horse Constructor.BFU" on them (and this file I've never heard of called "shell 32.dll" was "Changed"). No other files do, just the executables.

Is there a reason for that? Are BlitzPlus executables virus-prone? Is there something wrong with my compiler? Or is it just some great coincidence?

Thanks for the help!

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
What virus checker do you use? I ask cos I had something very similar on one machine with AVG.

Tomas Khan(Posted 2008) [#3]
I have AVG too. Do you mean AVG might be confusing something in the executables for viruses? Hmm... That's an interesting thought.

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#4]
AVG is the only one with this problems,.....and that every time if a new version is out in the torrent pages. ;P (joke)

The only way is to send an email to the support so they can take the "signatur" that cause the problem from the black list.

bye

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#5]
Tomas - yes, as you say. It happens all the time with virus checkers.

Tomas Khan(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hmm. Well, that's interesting. Thanks!

Is there any way to stop it, though? I would like to be able to get an executable on a CD to show it to someone else without it spontaneously vanishing...

4pac(Posted 2008) [#7]
I just had the same problem with a german virus checker named Gdata Internet Security. I didnīt realize it myself, a web publisher told me, and he refuses to put my software title into his online freeware archive because of it :-(

I downloaded a trial of Gdataīs virus checker and it told me the same. This time it is "Constructor.Win32.Agent.cn".

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#8]
E-mail the virus checker people to get issues like this rectified.

4pac(Posted 2008) [#9]
Today another user of my website mailed me about this issue. This time it was a different virus checker - "Kaspersky Internet Security". This is starting to annoy me... is it sure that there is no threat going out from this mysterious "Constructor.Win32.Agent.cn"?

I mean... these coders of virus checkers arenīt just dabbling around with code like beginners, I think these people know what they do...

[EDIT]
Okay :-) I just had a phone call with GData. They told me that I was not the only one who was bothered by that problem, and they took the signature that is concerned off their virus list.

Encouraged by that, I just wrote a mail to the company Kaspersky whoo distribute the 2nd virus scanner I mentioned.

I overestimated those peoples skills...
[/EDIT]

Tomas Khan(Posted 2008) [#10]
Cool, thanks.

But now that I think of it, I still wonder about that "Changed" file, "shell 32.dll"... What was that, do you think?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2008) [#11]
Hmm... I'm not sure. "shell32.dll" is an essential file for Windows OS, stored in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32", which contains, many things such as images used by Windows XP. Other than that, though, I don't know how it could have been "changed..." I tried doing that intentionally once, using Resource Hacker, but when I restarted my PC, the changes had disappeared.

One way or another, as long as your computer still works normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#12]
But now that I think of it, I still wonder about that "Changed" file, "shell 32.dll"... What was that, do you think?

Hard to say, although any windows update could conceivable change that system file.

Tomas Khan(Posted 2008) [#13]
Okay. Thanks!

Tomas Khan(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hmm. Okay, that's odd. Last night I forgot to delete the four executables I had compiled in case they were assaulted by AVG...

...but this morning the "Finished" thing came up and said "No threats found." It didn't even "Change" shell 32.dll. And the executables are still here! What happened? Did AVG take Constructor.BFU off their virus list? And would that affect all of the computers using AVG if one person called in to have it taken off?

EDIT: Okay, it's been a long time, and they're still there, so I think the problem is solved. Thanks to all of you for your help!