is this possible in blitz?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Beginners Area/is this possible in blitz?

DCI(Posted 2007) [#1]
I own blitzplus and blitz3d.. the project ive been working over in my head is this.. a 2 piece program, a server, and a client app.. a game.. The player, explores a pre-defined universe, creates a settlement, buildings, mines for resources, builds war machines, and other products.. sells them on a Game wide auction system to other players who are playing and doing these things at the same time.. if 2 players get in conflict, the zone inwhich their fighting, will display a 2d top down representation of the zone their in, with icons for the unit's in play.. including the unit's armor, shields, weapons and ammo status.. the player should be able to log in for the first time, create a login and password.. which will set up their account.. etc..

is writing a game like this beyond the capability of the Blitz products? which would be better to write the game in? blitzplus (blitz2d) or blitz 3d? would someone be willing to talk to me about the game, give me a few pointers on the proper way to start? im very eager to learn and have nothing but time.. but i do need someone to help and atleast set me on the right path. please help me!

email me at Killian@... if you want to talk about this in private.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#2]
It's perfectly possible in both b+ and bb3d. If its 2D only then you could write it in b+, but I would recommend using bb3d, just cos it is more flexible/futureproof in the long run.

I would start by testing out very simple sample code that does the networking part (a chat app maybe?). Take a look at gNet for the player matching. Also, take a look at ETNA. You will probably need to get to grips with PHP for the login/password parts.

Good luck.